1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Couple odd problems that are pissing me off

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 08:23 PM
noodle
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple odd problems that are pissing me off

Truck is a 95 Dakota SLT, 5.2 4x4 with 192,XXX on it. Runs great, but there are a few little things that are really starting to bother me.

There is a noise that seems to be coming from what seems like the front of the truck underneath the cab somewhere. It sounds like something is dragging on the ground. Sounds like something dangling down and scraping on the ground, but there isnt. The noise is only heard when slowing down like when I am coming to a stop sign or light, and speeding up after stopping. The noise stops when I stop, and stops when i get anywhere above 10-15 MPH (as far as I know, perhaps it is still doing it but i cannot hear it. The noise just started recently, maybe 3 weeks ago at the most. What should I check?

Second, when I let off my gas pedal there is a sort of a shudder, it doesnt happen every single time i let of my throttle, mostly at low rpms when driving through side streets and stuff, when I am constantly stopping and/or making yields. I heard somewhere that it could be a sensor that is out of my tranny? Looking for any ideas.

Old 02-16-2008, 08:43 PM
bluesfool
Default RE: Couple odd problems that are pissing me off

Can't help with the shudder, although my only guess is that it has something to do with the tranny. Try changing the fluid and filter...that might be all it takes. As far as the other sound, have you checked your brakes? Obviously check the pads, but look at the calipers too. If it's more of a grinding noise, then check your cv shafts...192000 is a lot of miles to put on those cv joints. Also, check the fluid in the pumpkin and make sure it's filled. If you need to add to it, then keep and eye out for leaks too.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like your carrier bearing could be going out, i guess yours is a split drive shaft too... i am not sure if the 4x4 is like the 2wd. but that could deffinatly be the scraping noise and can cause a vibration or shuddering like you said, so grap it and see if it shakes.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:21 PM
noodle
Professional

I just changed the fluid and filter maybe 2000 miles ago. Drive shaft seems to be fine.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

kinda a stupid thought, but figured id ask just to make sure...what kind of tranny fluid did you use to replace the old?

Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM
noodle
Professional

Atf+4

Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Truck Dude
Veteran

ok, your cool then..i dunno what else it could be