1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Tow Hooks

I recently was asked about tow hooks. So I decided to post it up and I will put this in the FAQ2.

There were no tow hooks available for our trucks. Custom fit is the only way to go. You can buy lots of different hooks. From the Mopar Logo Hooks, to the Chevy style hooks. Or the most common aftermarket ones.

The ones I bought were from 4wheel parts for $15, I got the retainer clips with it to insure the tow rope or hooks, shackles don't come loose. I used 3/8 in steel to extend the hooks a little, and to strengthen up the frame to ensure no bending. I used grade 8 bolts nuts and washers. I even used 2 nuts to secure each bolt. I drilled the steel through the frame and the bumper bracket. This gives it strength if being pulled from the sides. This is super strong. I have busted my 50,000 and 40,000 lbs tow ropes. No bending or braking of the tow hooks. Here are some pics. I installed a front hitch witch makes Mine extra strong by strong both sides together.

Edit: I have now installed a custom front hitch with the tow hooks.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ont-hitch.html

Here are some from someone from the other forum. (I Think its a good Idea just use grade 8 bolts and nuts and use steel sleeves with grade 8 washers inside the frame and outside)

Here is one from someone on this forum. (This looks like a good Location but if your stuck in mud or a bad position it may be buried.)

For the back There are several different ways you can. The best way is with a hitch. I have Bought an adapter that has a D-ring shackle for $30 from 4wheel parts. There are hooks and loops that you can bolt in the receiver. I prefer something that is closed up so there is no chance of the tow rope or cable to come loose. Here are some pics.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 05-20-2011 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
Bad96_3.9
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good write up crazy, i am building bumpers now for my little samurai and welding two d-ring shackals on the front and 2in recivers on the front and back. got some 1/4 steel plate to weld to the frame too to make it stronger. i like that reciver you got, i may just get one of those and not worry about welding the shackles to it.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks! That will look good. Ive been wanting to add a hitch to the front so when I get a winch I will be able to use in front and back. Ya I love these recivers. The only bad thing is STUPIED people steal the D-ring if you leave in on. So now I have to keep the D-ring inside the cab.

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks