1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Emergency! Electrical help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 PM
saltbranch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emergency! Electrical help needed.

I have a 93,5.2,auto 4x4.
I took my truck to leave @ our property today to use to put hay out etc. during the drought. I pulled up to a gate, turned truck off to clear some brush, open gate etc. Went to start truck, I have no electric power. No lights, no power to any part of truck. Clean battery terminals, tried to start w/ tranny shifted in nuetral. Move tranny shifter back and forth...notta. I did not have any tools with me to go any further into checking stuff, plus I had to get back home.
The truck is 100 miles from home and 25 miles to closest auto parts store. I am taking electrical tools and testers with me Saturday when I go back.
Any ideas on what would cause this? Any parts that I should go ahead and buy to take...what ever I dont use I can return.
My first thoughts are a fusible link-where are they located to check? Bad ground?
Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Old 08-07-2009, 01:53 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

If it all was dead. It sounds like the battery is dead or the alternator is so the it ran off of the battery and it is dead. Dirty connections can be the cause, at the battery as well as the frame and starter.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:24 PM
saltbranch

I took the day off from work and went back to work on it. Turns out it was the battery dead, tested @ 2v. I have never seen a battery do this before. I mean I had just started the truck( started fine,did not sound weak), backed it off the trailer, drove over to the gate, turned it off. About 5 minutes later go to start truck and all is dead. I checked the cables for any place that could short out, found nothing. After new battery is in, charging system @ 14v..... life is good again. Thanks Crazy4x4RT for the help

Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 PM
kahanabob
Captain

My 90 did that one minute started next time not even a click...same thing battery shot.

Quick Reply: Emergency! Electrical help needed.