1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

does anybody have experience with fuel pump rebuilds?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 12:08 AM
1shotjake
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anybody have experience with fuel pump rebuilds?

Just curious if anybody has tried any of the oem "rebuild" or pump assemblies for say ebay or the like. It appears they come with new tubing, hose clamps, the strainer, and of course a new pump. It appears these are significantly cheaper than buying the whole sending unit (my fuel gauge, appears to be working just perfectly) and I figure for half the price, I can do (quite a bit of work already) why not save some money (that I honestly don't have at the moment).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-F...ayphotohosting

there's a cheap one I came across. the feedback appears to be good, but my biggest worry is the kit itself, and the difficulty in doing this all correctly. Normally I'd prefer to buy the whole unit, but I am almost wasting money by not being able to drive my truck (plus would be nice for the early morning rides to school, when standing at the bus stop in -20 degree weather isn't my cup o coffee )

Old 01-15-2009, 01:11 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That is cool! If I found that I probably would have bought that insted of the full unit too. I say go ahead and try it. I have done a simalar job on the TA. You just replace the pump insted of the entire unit. It is easy.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:35 PM
injmopar
Veteran

I would not buy something off ebay that you can not tell if it is real. It's not something you can change at the side of the road.I found a mustang replacement pump that has the same spec's as the year of my truck. It was a carter P74119 that you can buy from any good local dealer. It's about 3 or4 years old now. Don't let your tank go below a 1/4 tank. The heat of a 4000 rpm pump shortens it's life .At $6.00 a gallon last summer ,YA I never let the tank go low

Old 01-15-2009, 11:41 PM
injmopar
Veteran

The reason I took a shot at the ebay pumps is there are all kinds of Aholes that are importing fake brand name pumps.

Quick Reply: does anybody have experience with fuel pump rebuilds?