1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New guy here. Possibly purchasing a 1st Gen 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Gigahurtz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New guy here. Possibly purchasing a 1st Gen 5.2

Whats up fella's and ladies.

I found a truck I am interested in.

95 Dakota Single cab Short bed with a cap
318, Auto 125K on the clock.
White with good paint
Stock Alloys
Nice exhaust, but unfortunatly, I didt see what make it was.

Give ma ball park figure of price of what you would pay?

I have been in the RWD car scene 81 Monte Landau Sport and a 81 Z-28 both were smallblocks. Also was in the sports compact scene (SRT-4) I had it since new, jsut sold it. My 12 second daily driver.

Looking to get into the RWD thing again since traction is better the tirespin.

Want to put a blower on it, but I beleive it is TBI injection. Any thought on this matter? cant seem to find a blower kit for this. Checked with the vortec and paxton website.

What other go fast goodies would I need to get this thing to be a mid 12 second daily? Is it possible with no forced induction with a good set of bolt ons?

Any info would be appreciated!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Some people get good deals on them. But to start you should check out www.kbb.com That will tell you how much it is worth.

It is Multi Port Injection. There are super charger kits. Some don't have it listed for the Dakota, just search for a ram with a 5.2. It is the same engine. They run around $5,000 new. Look at the Dakota main page. There is a post on Dakota boost options.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 PM
Gigahurtz

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Some people get good deals on them. But to start you should check out www.kbb.com That will tell you how much it is worth.

It is Multi Port Injection. There are super charger kits. Some don't have it listed for the Dakota, just search for a ram with a 5.2. It is the same engine. They run around $5,000 new. Look at the Dakota main page. There is a post on Dakota boost options.
Thanks for the information. I usually dont go by KBB for two reasons. The price is never accurate when it comes to purchasing a used car from a lot, and the lots usually go by Galves book price, which is always higher.

Thanks for the info on the blowers and such. The thing is, I dont see where this is a multiport setup. It has a round aircleaner sitting on the intake manifold just like an older small block would have, and under it is a throttle body. it doesnt look multiport at all. Hence why i cant find a blower setup for it. Here is a picture of a 1994 with the same setup..

Old 08-15-2009, 01:48 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Yup multi port. The air cleaner is just an air cleaner. It has nothing to do with how it runs. Look closer. Inbetween the valve cover and the intake manifold. You will see the individual fuel injectors.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Gigahurtz

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Yup multi port. The air cleaner is just an air cleaner. It has nothing to do with how it runs. Look closer. Inbetween the valve cover and the intake manifold. You will see the individual fuel injectors.
Thanks for clarifying that. I appreciate it.. I will look into options, 5k is alot of $ when it comes to a blower for sure.

I have looked down the turbo route as well. STS remote systems are pretty deicent in price and seem like the best bang for the buck. I know people that have boosted their LS1 Vettes and F-bodys with them with alot of success.

I kind just like the whine of the blower though .

Old 08-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Gigahurtz

I am going to take a second look at this truck on Monday to see if I can get any other information out of the guy. More detailed inspection, and the such as well along with a test drive. Maybe some pictures that I can post up as well..

Idealy, this is going to be a daily driver just as my SRT-4 was, but also able to eat up the random Ricer on the street and a few other as well as tkaing it to the track a few times when i get the 1/4 mile bug.

Any thoughts on Chips / flash tunes, mild cam?

Thanks again....

Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with 95 is the tuning options are very limited. Pretty much the only thing out there is the Mopar PCM (which is great BTW). So you have to be creative if you want to run boost. I'm gathering parts to do a remote turbo right now, I'll be using a MSD BTM for timing and a Aeromotive digital FMU to control the fuel. At first I thought I'd be able to do it for $1500 or less but now it's looking like I'm going to go a little over that... It's amazing how much all the little parts add up.

Some of these 1st gens were pretty quick out of the box, the 5.2 5 speed 2wd reg cab short beds would do mid-high 14s stock. The same drivetrain in my heavy 4x4 extended cab, and my truck only did a 16.5 (with the M1 intake, exhaust and thottle body), haven't been back since the roller rockers and Mopar PCM though, I suspect it would break into the 15s now.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 08-16-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

You can check the FAQ2 for tons of performance options. Including a hand held programmer for the OBD1 computers.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Gigahurtz

Thanks for the info guys. I have been talking to someone on this forum and they gave me some iniste on the remote turbo setups. I have a pretty good grasp on turbo's since my last car was boosted, but I am still not 100% on the reliability thing as appose to strapping a blower to it.

My delema is it will be my DD. So I take into consideration, Daily driver, Drivability, reliability.. Then I also want it to be a weekend track ***** with Drag radials / street light to street light runner.

I know it sounds like I am pushing for alot, but I have seen it done.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For driveability and fuel mileage, the turbo wins hands down. Most vehicles that get turboed usually increase their fuel mileage when not fooling around in the boost. That was the deciding factor for me, I daily drive my truck and take it on road trips. Just make sure you are using a GOOD turbo and oil scavenge pump, not the crappy diaphragm pump that STS supplies with their turbo kits. Even if the oil scavenge pump fails, you can still drive it, you'll just be getting oil past the turbo seals. I'd keep the boost limited to 7PSI on the stock headgaskets though.

Last edited by Hahns5.2; 08-16-2009 at 09:06 PM.

Quick Reply: New guy here. Possibly purchasing a 1st Gen 5.2