1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Coolant temp. sensor causing erratic idle?

Old 04-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Coadster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp. sensor causing erratic idle?

As most of you may know, I've been having a few issue with my 95' kota. Heres the jist of it - It idles fine for about 3 or 4 minutes, then the rpm's start to drop, then it will go back up, then drop really low, then go back up and continues this cycle. If I rev it a bit, when it comes down it will go down almost to the point of stalling then go back to normal - and continue the surging process. Im thinking because its fine when its cold, and then all whacked when its warm, that it it probably this sensor. I checked and it threw a '22' code, which is 'coolant temp sensor out of range'. Im going to replace it tomorrow, reset the computer, and pray that it was the problem. Can anyone shine some light on this? Anybody else have this problem? If this doesnt fix it, I'll try replacing the IAC. But, hopefully I wont have to.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:07 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Coadster
As most of you may know, I've been having a few issue with my 95' kota. Heres the jist of it - It idles fine for about 3 or 4 minutes, then the rpm's start to drop, then it will go back up, then drop really low, then go back up and continues this cycle. If I rev it a bit, when it comes down it will go down almost to the point of stalling then go back to normal - and continue the surging process. Im thinking because its fine when its cold, and then all whacked when its warm, that it it probably this sensor. I checked and it threw a '22' code, which is 'coolant temp sensor out of range'. Im going to replace it tomorrow, reset the computer, and pray that it was the problem. Can anyone shine some light on this? Anybody else have this problem? If this doesnt fix it, I'll try replacing the IAC. But, hopefully I wont have to.
im pretty sure that the IAC and TPS are pretty cheap and easy to replace, so if i were you, i would replace all 3 of them. its sounding alot like the TPS to me, but ive been wrong too many times to say for sure lol.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Coadster
Rookie

Well, I replaced the sensor. And guess what? She runs like a top now, Idles flawlessley. It still confuses me how the cooling system affects the idling.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 AM
kahanabob
Captain

It's the computer dealing with a bad sensor.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:14 AM
ModT
Professional

My truck is doing the same thing, I replaced the TPS and its still doing it. Did you replace the IAC or something else?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ModT
My truck is doing the same thing, I replaced the TPS and its still doing it. Did you replace the IAC or something else?
he changed the coolant temp sensor

Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM
ModT
Professional

So the coolant temp sensor is different from the IAC?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

IAC Intake Air Charge. It takes the incoming air temperature. There are 2 coolant sensors. 1 for the computer with 2 wires. 1 with 1 wire for the guage. The are located on both sides of the hemostat housing.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just reading this post and am very confused... What IAC are you talking about Crazy? The only thing I know of that is called IAC is the Idle Air Controller. There is an Intake Manifold Air Temperature sensor... is this the one you're talking about?

IMAT.jpg?t=1241490314

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-04-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:55 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I just wasn't paying attention. I was just thinking of sensors and just didn't think of the Idle air control. But the Intake manifold air temperature sensor is what I was talking about. There are several types of names for lots of these things. Here is autozone's page with it called Air charge temperature sensor. I just added the Intake because that is where is located. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...entId=cat10014

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coolant temp. sensor causing erratic idle?