1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Throw out bearing replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:38 PM
Waneman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throw out bearing replacement

3 weeks ago I had the throw out bearings replaced on my '93 Dodge Dakota Sport pick-up. The mechanic gave me what I thought was a good deal, $550 parts and labor. A week after I find myself stranded unable to get the clutch to engage. upon calling the mechanic I am told it is unrelated and to tow the truck in. They tear it open again and tell me the pressure plate and clutch disk are bad and since they had to again open up the trany, I am looking at $800.

I have talked to several novices mechanics as well as searched the web and the general consensus it that they should have replaced the entire clutch assembly and that this comes as one complete kit.

Would you agree?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:07 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes I agree 100%, there is no reason at all to replace a throwout bearing and not put a clutch in it... too much work! If the throwout bearing was bad, chances are the fingers on the pressure plate were worn out as well, and if the pressure plate needs replacing, you definately want a new clutch plate. Most new clutch kits come with the clutch plate, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearings cause most people replace it all at once. The mechanic definately should have at least inspected the pressure plate and clutch plates, and if he were competent, he should have seen a problem (cause there obviously was one). I don't know what you can do about it at this point, but that mechanic was very negligent. If your even a little bit mechanically inclined and have the tools, I would suggest you do it yourself. You can get a clutch kit for less than $200.

Last edited by 95_318SLT; 05-18-2009 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Throw out bearing replacement