1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need some help with ASD Relay

Old 05-20-2013, 01:34 PM
bwebb83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, my 93 dakota sport 5.2L will not start, wont even turn over. i've had it about a month, always started fine, went out this morning to take my daughter to school, nothing, no click, no attempt to crank. i can hear the fuel pump come on, i checked the battery terminals, swapped all the relays, unwrapped the wire harness under the relay box, the wires are still connected. any suggestions

Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
bwebb83

man i have fooled with that truck all day, been reading, and trying different things, read about the nuetrel or park safty switch. and guess what, i guess my shifter was not all the way to the left. went out put it in neutrel and back to park, and it started right up

Old 05-25-2013, 12:28 PM
ricekiller
Rookie

Imagine my frustration after having to stop 5 times and wiggle wires on my 18 mile drive home from work, re-doing the splices.... Then drive the truck 3 miles and it dies again.... Turned out my batt. ground cable was corroding through..... Atleast it hasn't died again... yet.

Old 05-20-2014, 12:24 AM
bigdaddysaints

Found this thread and checked the wires, and voila, one of the wires had come lose..reconnected it and it started right up..
The next day, i decided to undo all three of them and reconnect them more securely..
After doing that, i go to crank it, and boom, won't crank. I undo them and made sure none of them came loose.. Nope.. I check voltage to the ASD relay, and it's fine. Did i pull something else loose while doing this?
I don't see any other loose wires.
I'm not much of a mechanic, so I'm not the best at these things.
I used the voltage meter to check the connection to all of the relays (not the relays themselves, but the holes they plug into). while the key is turned on, the fuel pump relay got 12v in 2 spots, the ASD in 2 spots, but the starter relay only got power in one spot. Could this be the problem, should i be getting power in both spots on the starter relay?
Im baffled.. It's driving me mad..

Old 05-24-2014, 12:12 AM
bigdaddysaints

Ok.. I think i may have made a boo boo.. When i reconnected the wires, i didn't disconnect the battery.
By doing this, did i fry something? I checked all the fuses, they are all good.
I'm getting power to all the relays, but it's not getting power to the coil. Somewhere between I'm losing power. Any suggestions? Someone told me to check the fusable links, but I'm not sure where they are.
Help... Anyone?

Old 05-24-2014, 07:37 AM
SteveDes
Rookie

No power to coil would be ASD realy circuit or cam sensor under dist. cap and rotor or crank sensor. Try switching the starter relay and the asd relay in the PDC.

Old 05-06-2016, 08:10 AM
redneckwildchild

New here so help me out lookin for info on vaccum shift from transfercase to front axle no vaccum at trans case block at the switch?

Old 05-03-2020, 01:49 AM
Devon Farber
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Same today myself

Originally Posted by ricekiller
Imagine my frustration after having to stop 5 times and wiggle wires on my 18 mile drive home from work, re-doing the splices.... Then drive the truck 3 miles and it dies again.... Turned out my batt. ground cable was corroding through..... Atleast it hasn't died again... yet.
I got stranded on the highway. After 8 days meticulously, ridiculous. I had my son strip out the harness in the donor.i sprayed it down and brushed with pine sol. pristien condotion

Clean complete harness

Muddy abandon in the woods, 200$ Threw a splash and a bat. Fired right up. 0 to redline, redline, redline, throttle cable zip tie. And done.

The following users liked this post:
RalphP (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 12:35 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by redneckwildchild
New here so help me out lookin for info on vaccum shift from transfercase to front axle no vaccum at trans case block at the switch?
Suggest making a brand new thread for that, so your question will be seen.

But have you traced the vacuum lines back to the intake? And did you check the VECI under the hood? Those are good first shots for no vacuum at a vacuum operated device.

Also, may help to specify year/motor (we can presume 4x4 so no need to specify that) in case there are variances.

RwP

Old 05-03-2020, 12:38 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Devon Farber
I got stranded on the highway. After 8 days meticulously, ridiculous. I had my son strip out the harness in the donor.i sprayed it down and brushed with pine sol. pristien condotion

Muddy abandon in the woods, 200$ Threw a splash and a bat. Fired right up. 0 to redline, redline, redline, throttle cable zip tie. And done.
I hates intermittents with a passion.

I'd walk through the old harness, looking for mechanical distress somewhere.

And then chop it into teeny tiny pieces and destroy it

Glad you had a donor!

RwP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need some help with ASD Relay