1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

94-95 Dakota 318 4X4 auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2023, 12:25 AM
Sulaiimaan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94-95 Dakota 318 4X4 auto to manual swap

Hello, this summer i plan on making a build i want to make a V8 dakota manual im not sure what transmission or transfer case etc, i know i will need a donor truck, however im not sure about what transmission like nv3500? or nv4500 will any of those work? thanks!<br /><br />so to cut short i basically want to know what transmission for a 93-96 dakota 5.2l V8 manual swap and what other parts transmission wise.

Old 02-09-2023, 09:53 AM
dodgetruck2
All Star
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Well it would depend on your goals, is this going to be performance or stock motor? Do you want it to be like original or just get the best of the best? The 5.2 would've used the NV3500 I believe factory and would be an easy swap and a donor truck would suit your needs well. If you're looking for more performance, either hp, offroad ect. I would lean towards an NV4500 due to the more ruggedness and beating it can handle. Im not sure dimensions off hand if cab modifications would be required to fit it. The AX15 could also be available from jeeps and possibly 3.9 Dakotas? I'm not sure the durability of it how ever I would expect it to be comparable to an NV3500. You could go backwards with an NP435 or similar 4spd from the 1st gen era, it would be very HD not so highway friendly depending on axle and tire setups, also the unknown of dimensions and fitment in the dakota platform, lots of custom work. I always wanted to put a tremec in my 2nd gen but i believe they are RWD only so thats out

I believe the dakota also has a left hand drop Tcase so I would used the the NP231 that would come behind an NV3500/4500 in the V8 setup. Again if you're looking for offroad performance maybe beef up to the 241

Lots of options available, depends on your skill level, how much custom you wanted to enter into, budget, and goals with the truck

Quick Reply: 94-95 Dakota 318 4X4 auto to manual swap