1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

TBI or MPI???

Old 07-04-2009, 04:14 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TBI or MPI???

well i was just thinking... which is better? another thing i was wondering is will the a pre magnum TBI air butterfly assembly bolt up to a magnum intake? and will a pre-magnum computer run a magnum engine being that its swapped over to TBI? i will also have to plug the holes in the intake where the injectors insert right? what would be the best thing to use? silicone?

im mainly asking just because after a few experiments, i found out that TBI doesnt backfire on the downfall of the revs. i hate that popping noise and im willing to do anything to stop it! ive also driving a few TBI trucks, and i like the way they respond better than the MPI. but the thing i want to know is, will i see any power increase? not likely tho right?

Old 07-04-2009, 04:37 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know why MPI would have backpressure like what your explaning because isnt that direct, in chamber fuel injection or what, i dont know but something tells me a TBI system probably wont just bolt onto your system but wait for someone else who knows more about the Magnums to chime in

Old 07-04-2009, 04:39 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

And to tell you the truth my carbed engine dosnt make the soound your takin about so its not just TBI engines that dont have back pressure or what ever the hell they call that sound is caused by

Old 07-04-2009, 05:29 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by ZackN920
And to tell you the truth my carbed engine dosnt make the soound your takin about so its not just TBI engines that dont have back pressure or what ever the hell they call that sound is caused by
i know that carbed and TBI engines dont make the sound. my theory is its a muti-port timing issue that never got solved with all vehicles. pontiacs, chevy, GMC, dodge, ford, they all do it.. i just wanna know if i could bolt a TBI setup to my magnum

Old 07-04-2009, 07:00 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

No they are not interchangeable in any way. Just think of it TBI uses 2 injectors. MPI uses 8.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:00 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, why do you hate that sound so much?!? I love that sound. My truck makes an earsplitting poping noise when I'm engine braking, and I think it makes it sound mean!

Here is my theory on what that sound is caused by.... When you engine is going a any rmp above idle without your foot on the gas, it's not getting enough fuel and therefore on the power stroke, the piston is coming down faster than the gasses expand, which creates a vacuum, which echos through the exhaust system.

What exhaust setup are you running? I think it has more to do with the exhaust than it does with the fuel and ignition systems. My truck never used to do that (at least not audibly from in the cab) when it had the factory exhaust system, but now I have a flowmaster 40 and no cat.

Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM
ZackN920
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
Here is my theory on what that sound is caused by.... When you engine is going a any rmp above idle without your foot on the gas, it's not getting enough fuel and therefore on the power stroke, the piston is coming down faster than the gasses expand, which creates a vacuum, which echos through the exhaust system.
If thats true why dont TBI and/or Carbed engines do that?

Old 07-05-2009, 12:56 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by ZackN920
If thats true why dont TBI and/or Carbed engines do that?
carbed and TBI engines arent directly getting fuel. thats why.

im pretty sure im running the factory exhaust. i bought the truck a yr ago from someone who just kept it stock. the cats still there, but the muffler is rusted right out. but i really wanna make it sound nice, but without that popping cuz when i rev it, people look at my like my truck is a peice of sh*t... when really its better than their vehicles. whatever, i guess it will just have to be one of those things that grows on me.. hopefully..

Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 PM
soar_dude
Professional

you might want to check you ignition system. I have a 93 with 3.9 and a manual and have never had the popping backfire sound.

Old 07-06-2009, 10:45 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star

Originally Posted by soar_dude
you might want to check you ignition system. I have a 93 with 3.9 and a manual and have never had the popping backfire sound.
you running factory exhaust tho? cuz if your running factory exhaust and its not rusted out and the truck is quiet, you wont hear it. you can only hear the noise when youve either hacked off the exhaust, or put aftermarket on

Search this Thread