1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

******* transmission spewing oil - unknown location

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 PM
Coadster
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ******* transmission spewing oil - unknown location

Transmission has been acting up lately, its stalled a few times when shifting from R to D, and I just now realized that I had almost 0 trans oil. Its definately spewing ATF, I happen to notice some white smoke blowing from behind the truck today, and thats what set me off to the oil. It's only happening when its running, and its coming out pretty fast. It doesnt drip at all when its not running. I dont know where its coming from, I couldnt get a good look. It looks like somewhere around the starter.

I apologize for the many threads lately, but I just dont want to risk permenantly damaging anything - hopefully it hasnt already.

Thanks for any input

Old 08-06-2009, 12:01 AM
skyshark186
Captain

check where the dipstick tube goes into the top of the tranny. Thats where mine was leaking.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:01 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you tried looking under the truck while it is running? If you have to have a friend on top so they can shut it off if they have to or put it in gear with the brakes on.
Not 100% positive but I believe they make the UV detector kit for the transmission. That will be the easyest.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Coadster
Rookie

Are there any lines for the tranny that run around the starter area? Everything was covered in oil and it was getting dark, im going to try and get a better look today.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:40 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes you have the cooler lines going to the radiator. But also you have the input shaft and all the transmission parts that the fluid can run.

Old 08-06-2009, 03:03 PM
Coadster
Rookie

Well, it turns out to be one of the lines for the transmission cooler, thankfully. I'm just hoping that There wasnt any damage done. Can these be purchased, or do they have to be made (like brake lines?)

Thanks

Old 08-07-2009, 10:07 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Short answer: yes, you can purchase the formed line (well, if their still made, that is!)

I believe the lines you have now might have "special" ends on them (quick-disconnects).
At any rate, you may be able to cut-out the bad section and put in transmission-fluid-rated hose. (I would try my best to stay with steel/metal. I ripped out the steel line in my Dakota during the transmission change because it was so rusted, but I installed the rubber hose. I do not recommend to use rubber hose where OEM was metal)

As far as the actual threads on the transmission, they are a standard plumbing thread (I believe like 3/8"), and I don't remember the thread on the radiator where the lines go in (it was an AN thread, like -3AN or -4AN, but don't hold me to it!)

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Coadster
Rookie

I took the truck to my friends house, threw it up on the lift (Its awesome to know people! ), cut out the bad section of tubing, and replaced it with a strong metal-shielded rubber line. I also got a new drive belt.. the current one is all frikkity-fracked... for some reason the belt for the dak's is really pricey... $58! (canadian of course) I went to 3 places, all were within a few dollars. The guy said he doesnt know why they're so pricey, maybe a special design?

Anyway, thanks for all the help!

Old 08-07-2009, 11:45 PM
SEG388
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to hear it was fixed. No bad damage done I assume?

I don't think it's a special design, just the fact our Daks are getting older and parts are not as numerous. When I was trying to get some replacement parts for my Dak due to a collision (such as a new fender) It was pricer than I expected and that is what they told me too.

Last edited by SEG388; 08-07-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 12:51 AM
Coadster
Rookie

No, the trans seems normal now. I was sh*tting my pants because I thought my trans was going (slipping, stalling, wouldnt move in gear, etc) then I just happen to look in my mirror to see clouds of white smoke pouring out from behind my truck. First I thought, oh F**K, head gasket. Upon closer inspection, i happen to notice trans oil spraying out onto the exhaust, thus creating the white smoke. After running the trans almost out of oil, I am relieved that it's functioning properly now, that theres sufficient oil. I'm actually kinda of dissapointed, I wanted an excuse to throw a 5 speed in hehehehe....

Quick Reply: ******* transmission spewing oil - unknown location