1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel Gauge Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:58 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by louk
The gas gauge quit months ago (empty reading). After being T-boned I had the body shop replace the fuel gauge sensor while the bed was pulled back. The gas tank was about 3/4 full at that time. They replaced the sensor with an after market unit which the first one did not register gas level. The second unit seemed to work OK. When I got the truck back the gauge indicated about 3/4 full. I filled the gas tank I got the usual over fill indication. However, the gas gauge now does not drop below about 3/4 full. I put over 14 gal of gas in the tank after the trip indicator read 185 mile. I read several of the gas tank threads and am sort of caught in the middle. Is there a reset or calibration that meeds to be done after a fuel sensor replacement? I hate to have to take it to the dealer and spend big bucks. Maybe the float is stuck?? I would pull the pump sensor, but, not sure what I would be getting into?

Lou K
No calibration....its a simple wiper POT that varies resistance to the gauge. With that said, however, the POT needs to be the same resistance range as the original to work with your gauge.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:23 AM
Donovan Alexander Shovan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 dakota 3.9 Reads E after new pump assembly

Just had the entire assembly replaced. The tank has been dropped twice this week, so it is not the float. I am positive it is in my cluster, but can not find any good forums for that repair. Please help!

Old 04-29-2018, 02:14 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

In the FAQ here, you can find the factory service manual as a PDF download.

Download that, unzip the ZIP file, and do the troubleshooting steps that are in that.

RwP

Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Two suggestions if the diagnosis Raplh suggests does not work https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...gas-gauge.html
And a TSB also haveing to do with the sending unit. IDk what year yours is but it applies to 91-94 dak http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1994/08-33-94.htm

Also this https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-friendly.html

You can lift the bed instead of dropping the tank. It's 8 bolts, disconnect the fill tube on one end of the rubber connector, unplugging a couple wires near the bumper, and the spare tire escutcheon.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:44 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan
Default entire fuel pump assembly is new.

Had a mechanic drop the tank and replace the entire assembly. I have the original manual and I know it is in the cluster. I need help working on the cluster itself.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:47 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan

Haha cluster. Truly a fitting description of that mess for people with my level of experience

Old 04-30-2018, 12:14 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Cluster's easy. Using the voltmeter, a) make sure that the gas gauge is getting power; b) check the resistance to ground of the sensor line. If b) is open, it's the wiring between the pump and the gauge; I personally would bet on that before I bet on the gauge. But that's what the testing's for.

RwP

Old 04-30-2018, 03:38 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by RalphP
Cluster's easy. Using the voltmeter, a) make sure that the gas gauge is getting power; b) check the resistance to ground of the sensor line. If b) is open, it's the wiring between the pump and the gauge; I personally would bet on that before I bet on the gauge. But that's what the testing's for.

RwP
Yeah what Ralph said....the cluster can't hardly go bad, but good spot to check your sender. There are two signals that come directly from the sending unit to the cluster. No pcm involved. It does go through the rear harness connector by the driver side fender and then the bulkhead connector into the cab. One signal is the ground signal to the empty lamp. One side of that lamp always has 12vdc from the cluster bus. The other side of lamp gets a ground from the sending unit when the contact on the bottom of the wiper is made. If the lamp is always on either your float i's stuck down or the wire is shorted to ground. As for the gauge the wiper in the fuel sending unit is a simple voltage divider using varying resistance. You should see a change in voltage at the gauge between 0 and 12vdc depending on the float position. You can measure the voltage or resistance with your meter to check.

Old 04-30-2018, 06:42 PM
Donovan Alexander Shovan
Default Rear harness

Originally Posted by robertmee
Yeah what Ralph said....the cluster can't hardly go bad, but good spot to check your sender. There are two signals that come directly from the sending unit to the cluster. No pcm involved. It does go through the rear harness connector by the driver side fender and then the bulkhead connector into the cab. One signal is the ground signal to the empty lamp. One side of that lamp always has 12vdc from the cluster bus. The other side of lamp gets a ground from the sending unit when the contact on the bottom of the wiper is made. If the lamp is always on either your float i's stuck down or the wire is shorted to ground. As for the gauge the wiper in the fuel sending unit is a simple voltage divider using varying resistance. You should see a change in voltage at the gauge between 0 and 12vdc depending on the float position. You can measure the voltage or resistance with your meter to check.
If we are talking about my trailer light harness...That is cut and hanging down. Possibly where the issue is.

Old 04-30-2018, 09:38 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Donovan Alexander Shovan
If we are talking about my trailer light harness...That is cut and hanging down. Possibly where the issue is.
No, the rear harness connector (there's two) are the grey and black connectors near the fenderwell inside the engine bay on the drivers side. They snake down the fender then follow the frame back. They cover the harness for the rear lights, abs, and fuel pump and sender. The trailer harness you speak of is usually just spliced onto the rear lights and shouldn't affect the fuel sending unit.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Problem