1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Ball joint woes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Littlejon126
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ball joint woes...

So, trying to do the ball joints on my 95 Dakota 4x2 3.9L (The Cursed Truck) and for the life of me, I cannot remove the uppers. After 6 hours, we got NOTHING. Is there some trick to removing them??

Also, since removal has been such a pain, I can only imagine install. Are there any tricks to this as well??

Thanks in advance y'all!

Old 09-04-2009, 08:10 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How are you trying to remove them?
Are you trying to press them out?

The upper ball joints are indeed threaded into the control arm. It is a special 2-1/8" (two and one-eighth inch) socket you will need.
Chrysler special part number C-3561

I bought a socket from SJ Discount tools (http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/sk84689.html)
NOTE: This is a 3/4" drive socket, so this is larger than the ratchets/breaker bars most people have.

Now, assuming you have the correct tools, all I can say is either get your hands on a big honker air gun, or, get a cheater pipe (the pipe I fit over my 3/4" breaker bar was probably 5 feet long!)
The threads on these are the normal lefty loosey, righty tighety.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:38 AM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Soak it in PB Blaster, and like Dodgerules said, get a long pipe. I can say that the upper ball joints didn't give me any problems at all when I was replacing them. THe lowers were a different story.

Quick Reply: Ball joint woes...