1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

This is inconvenient...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 PM
luthoro
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question This is inconvenient...

Actually, there are a couple things that are inconvenient.

1. windshield wipers don't turn on at all. Checked all fuses, none are blown. Combo switch?

2. still has the factory audio. I will be replacing it in the near future, but until then it would be nice to have at least FM radio. Worked when I bought the truck but stopped working yesterday. The deck turns on, but puts out no sound.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:23 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) Probably the multi-function switch. Have you tried all speeds?

2) Blown speakers? Disconnected speakers? Blown amp inside the radio? Hard to say for sure, but start by checking those out.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:54 PM
Az93DKota
Veteran

Same here. My wipers don't work either, only the sprayer works. Motor?

And someone please tell me exactly how to get the stupid arms off. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Theres a cover or something that is clipped on. Tell me before I break the damn things off. Thanks

Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 PM
luthoro
Professional

Originally Posted by 95_318SLT
1) Probably the multi-function switch. Have you tried all speeds?
Yeah, they dont work at all. No speed setting, nor when I press the button for the washers. Washer sprayers do work, though. Everything else that the combo switch does works (sprayer button, high beams, turn signals...)

Old 05-22-2010, 11:10 PM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try "hotwiring" the motor to see if the motor runs. If it does, its probably the switch. I've seen those switches do some weird things.

Az93DKota -> there is a clip you have to pop loose and then rock the arm back and forth a couple times and it will come off the pivot.

Old 05-23-2010, 12:13 AM
mmanahan1
Rookie

just had the same thing happen to me, went to aa junk yard and got a new motoer, and it works

Old 05-23-2010, 12:24 AM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably the wiper motor that's keeping the on. Check for power at the switch, and then at the wiper motor. I'm not sure what the voltage should be, but that will tell you if its the switch (or just do like 95_318SLT said). As for the radio, when I bought my truck, it still had the factory radio but it would only work if I kept turning it on and off until it worked. It gets really annoying after awhile tho

Old 05-23-2010, 03:55 AM
Applehugger
Rookie

Originally Posted by Az93DKota
Same here. My wipers don't work either, only the sprayer works. Motor?

And someone please tell me exactly how to get the stupid arms off. I can't figure it out for the life of me. Theres a cover or something that is clipped on. Tell me before I break the damn things off. Thanks
It's very easy but it took me a while to figure out. There is a tab on the base of the wipers, right where they connect to the control linkage. Lift up the wipers and pull it out, towards the windscreen. It'll slide out about 1/8". Then just wiggle the wipers off. I wish I had a camera so I could upload pictures but unfortunately I don't.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 AM
luthoro
Professional

Wipers are fixed; the plug into the combo switch was loose (duh! moment). And I finally got the radio to turn on, and I have discovered that as long as I don't turn it off w/ the switch it works every time. so...

3. I discovered today that the cruise control doesn't work. Flip it on, I get no dash indicator light or nothing, and pressing res/accel did not make it start maintaining speed automatically. Where do I begin looking for the cause of this not working?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:49 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luthoro
Wipers are fixed; the plug into the combo switch was loose (duh! moment). And I finally got the radio to turn on, and I have discovered that as long as I don't turn it off w/ the switch it works every time. so...

3. I discovered today that the cruise control doesn't work. Flip it on, I get no dash indicator light or nothing, and pressing res/accel did not make it start maintaining speed automatically. Where do I begin looking for the cause of this not working?
we don't have a light for the cruise control. you have to hit the set button for it to work, took me almost 2 months to figure that out, also make sure the fuse isn't blown, the prev owner put a little 5 amp fuse in m ine so it only work for a minute