1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 Dakota V6 3.9 - Rough Idle + Occasional Stalling

Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 AM
natedbrbr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Dakota V6 3.9 - Rough Idle + Occasional Stalling

I have a 1995 Dodge Dakota V6 that is giving me a difficult time. It's idling rough and occasionally when I'm stopped (at a traffic light for example) and go to step on the accelerator it stalls. Starts right back up and runs fine (excluding the rough idle). It was having a more persistent issue with stalling which I fixed - here is the list of things I've done to try fixing this:
- Replaced MAP Sensor (had a code for this - was the cause of the persistent stalling issue I mentioned).
- Replaced Distributor Cap, Rotor, Spark Plug Wires and Plugs
- Replaced EGR Valve (had a code for this too)
- Replaced Idle Air Control Valve
- Replaced Throttle Position Sensor

At WOT it runs and sounds great. I've sprayed carb cleaner to check the vacuum lines for leaks and haven't been able to find anything. Anyone have an idea what else I might check?

Old 07-02-2010, 09:13 AM
Auron
Veteran

pcv valve its a little blue thing on the pass. side of the engine

Old 07-02-2010, 09:31 AM
natedbrbr

I knew I was going to forget something on my list - I also replaced the PCV valve and the Crankcase breather filter.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Could be anything. Sounds like a vacuum leak to me.

Old 07-02-2010, 11:36 PM
asosnoff
Amateur

crank position sensor

Old 07-03-2010, 12:33 AM
MagnumMan3.9

Besides all of those things named above, it could also be that your computer needs to be cleared by unplugging the positive + battery terminal and letting it sit like that for 15+ minutes then plugging it back in. It could also be that even though you have a new rotor, sometimes that metal piece on the plastic rotor becomes bent to the side and is not centered under the pin on the bottom side of the distributer cap which can cause misfiring which I've had happen to me on my Dakota this time last year. Could also be the ignition timing, I would have someone with a known working timing light check your engines timing. I say known working since my one mechanic had to check my timing a couple weeks ago and his timing light was not working right so he couldn't even get an accurate reading.

Well good luck and please keep us updated on your progress!

Last edited by MagnumMan3.9; 07-03-2010 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:07 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Hi I'm having the same problem you are. Did you ever get it fixed? I'd love to know how to fix this problem. It's getting very irritating. Sometimes It will stall in traffic and I can't keep it running and it might take 5-10 minutes till I can shift it just right and slam on the throttle so it doesn't stall so I can drive off.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:24 PM
RockGuardedDak
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MagnumMan3.9
Besides all of those things named above, it could also be that your computer needs to be cleared by unplugging the positive + battery terminal and letting it sit like that for 15+ minutes then plugging it back in. It could also be that even though you have a new rotor, sometimes that metal piece on the plastic rotor becomes bent to the side and is not centered under the pin on the bottom side of the distributer cap which can cause misfiring which I've had happen to me on my Dakota this time last year. Could also be the ignition timing, I would have someone with a known working timing light check your engines timing. I say known working since my one mechanic had to check my timing a couple weeks ago and his timing light was not working right so he couldn't even get an accurate reading.

Well good luck and please keep us updated on your progress!
You can't change the timing on these trucks ('92 and up, not sure about previous years). It's all controlled by the PCM. If you try changing the timing by advancing or retarding the distributor, all you are doing is changing the fuel sync, not the timing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Dakota V6 3.9 - Rough Idle + Occasional Stalling