1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

TCASE Output Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 03:54 PM
ModT
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool TCASE Output Seal

Hey, So my tcase is leaking on the output seal where the front drive shaft sits. Anyways I know how to change the seal, I just wanna make sure that there is nothing complicated once I get the drive shaft out. Cause the front of the drive shaft theres the 4 bolts which holds it in place but where it goes in the tcase theres the slip yolk, i just wanna make sure that all you have to do is undo the 4 bolts on the front of the driveshaft and just pull it out, then use a pry bar or screwdriver to pull out the seal and put the drive shaft back in. Im pretty sure thats all I have to do Ive just never worked on this set up before, cause theres 2 u joints towards the output of the tcase and I wanna be certain that Im gonna be doing in right just cause im doin this in the garage and need my truck for the weekend, I know it seems pretty straight forward but any help would be great, by the its a 95 dodge dakota 4x4, I got the new seal I didnt think it was a hard seal, but it is so i do know how to put it in, but step to step directions would be awesome to help me out!! Thank you and I hope I get some responses.

Thanks guys

Old 10-29-2010, 08:01 PM
ModT
Professional

No one knows????

Old 10-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Applehugger
Rookie

After removing the four bolts, all you have to do is slip the drive shaft out. I found it easiest to pull the old seal out with a pair of channellock, rather than trying to pry with a screwdriver which may damage the bell-housing.

When you put the new seal in, I would recommend using some PVC to pound the seal in rather than just whacking it with a hammer. I had a guy change my seal for me, and he just used a hammer. Ended up distorting the seal edge and it started leaking again. So I replaced the seal again myself and just went to Lowe's and found some PVC that was the right width. That way you can pound it in 100% evenly. Hope that makes sense.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:33 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The yoke on the transfercase where the FRONT driveshaft connects to is not a slip yoke. You will need to remove the nut that is on the output shaft.

Are you sure your not talking about the REAR driveshaft.

Old 11-06-2010, 09:53 PM
ModT
Professional

Im deffinetly talking about the front, Im pretty sure it is a slip yoke my boss was saying we can bring it in the shop n look at it, He said that not only will you have to change the seal if its leaking but theres something on the yoke that might need to be changed I cant remember what he said but I dont want to get in there and do anything if I might need to change something else without all the parts, atleast at the shop i have access to the part store by delievery lol

Old 11-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Hahns5.2
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a slip yoke, it's just a yoke. The rear output is a slipyoke. The front driveshaft itself has the slip splines.

After you remove the driveshaft there will be a large nut on the yoke, put the t-case in 4wd and make sure the tranny is in gear or park and the E brake is on so you can remove the nut, the yoke will probably need a puller to get it off, then remove the seal, drive the new one in and reassemble.

Quick Reply: TCASE Output Seal