1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

DIY Fuel pump or Fuel Gauge trouble shooting (no dial-up friendly)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 08:24 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malnko79
Ok new to this sight. Im having fuel pump issues. So heres my story. I have a 91 dakota 5.2 it shot it run and drives but the motor desperately needs repaced. So i bought a 93 dakota 5.2 that runs and drives perfect but the fram is rotted. I took the engine, tranny all the wiring harnesses inside and out. Every control modgule, every everything and put it in my 91. Everything weent great. Got it all put back together. But, the fuel pump has no power. Ive repaced fuel pump relay, asd relay, and the fuel pump. I've also cut out and repaced the splice. Good power to all 4 wires. Im not the greatest with a multi meter or on how to read schematics. Can someone please help me.
Not sure what you mean by good power to all 4 wires...only one (larger) wire will have power at the pump to ground. First thing, do you hear the asd relay click on when you turn the ignition switch to on?

Old 09-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Malnko79
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Not sure what you mean by good power to all 4 wires...only one (larger) wire will have power at the pump to ground. First thing, do you hear the asd relay click on when you turn the ignition switch to on?
By poer to all 4 i mean the single wire and the 3 it splits into all test positive for power. And yes both the fuel pump relay and the ASD both click when you turn the key to the on position

Old 09-21-2017, 10:59 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Malnko79
By poer to all 4 i mean the single wire and the 3 it splits into all test positive for power. And yes both the fuel pump relay and the ASD both click when you turn the key to the on position
Are you checking power at the pump connector on top of the tank? That's the only way to know for sure you are getting power. Pull the connector from the fuel pump assembly on top of your tank and with your meter set to VDC check for 12v between the two largest gauge wires...probably a black wire and either red wire or drk green wire. Don't remember off top of my head. But it will be the larger two wires...the small ones are for the fuel sending unit. If you have 12v here then your pump is toast or the wire inside the tank broke. If you don't have 12v then start tracing it back to the asd relay and see where you lose it.

Old 02-08-2021, 04:13 PM
JakeUK72
Default Connector Question

Hi.

Apologies if this isn't the right way to do this, but I'm driving myself around the bend trying to the find connector you're holding in several of your photos in your post. It's the one that connects to the fuel pump to provide power to it. I have hunted high and low on eBay, Amazon and Googled for days, but can't find a replacement one for my 1995 Dodge 2500 van. Could you kindly tell me what it is called and even better, point me in the direction of a supplier?

Any help would be so gratefully received as my truck has been stuck on the drive for over a year now and this issue needs to be fixed once and for all.

Many thanks.

Jake

Old 02-08-2021, 06:35 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Fuel Pump Connector.

HOWEVER.

It might not be available new anymore; might have to find a compatible vehicle in the boneyard to cut it out of.

Such as say a pickup or van of about the same vintage.

I'd look on car-part.com for someone with the pump assembly, and then chat, email, or call them to see if they can get you the connector also.

RwP

Old 02-09-2021, 02:22 PM
JakeUK72

Thanks for the advice, Ralph. Fingers crossed I can find a salvage company in the UK.

Kind regards.

Jake

Quick Reply: DIY Fuel pump or Fuel Gauge trouble shooting (no dial-up friendly)