1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Whining noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 07:28 PM
chinciodakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise

Hello All, I am new to this forum. I have a 1993 dodge dakota LE, it has the 3.9L V-6. When I shift from 1st to 2nd there is a high pitched whining noise. Not sure where it is coming from. Any ideas? I just replaced the water pump and thermostat, but the noise was there before and after the replacement.

thanks

Old 11-19-2010, 08:47 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by chinciodakota
Hello All, I am new to this forum. I have a 1993 dodge dakota LE, it has the 3.9L V-6. When I shift from 1st to 2nd there is a high pitched whining noise. Not sure where it is coming from. Any ideas? I just replaced the water pump and thermostat, but the noise was there before and after the replacement.

thanks
Welcome to the forum!
The noise could be anything unfortunately. You will want to try and determine where the sound is coming from. Does the noise stay after shifting? Is it more towards the front or the rear of the vehicle?

If it's towards the rear you could be hearing noise from the rear differential. Gears and bearings are known to make noise as they wear.

Good luck, let us know if you find any more info!

Old 11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
chinciodakota

Thank you for the response. It does not stay on after shifting and it sounds more from the front..anymore help will be grateful..

Old 11-24-2010, 12:20 PM
issakar
Captain

Like I said it could be anything. So step one is to find out what it is. lol. Is your vehicle RWD or 4x4? can you find the source of the noise or get a better general idea of its location? Does the noise pertain to engine speed or vehicle speed or both or none? does it pertain to when the truck changes gears specifically or is it related to the speed the truck is traveling at that time? these are the details that can help us get a better possible idea of what might be going on. Do you notice any other adverse effects of the whining or is it just an annoyance? Can you get a video of the noise and when it happens?
These are some of the hardest things to troubleshoot across the intertubez since we can't be right there hearing it with you. The more info we can get the better chance of at least narrowing it down for ya!

Good luck!

Old 11-26-2010, 05:24 PM
chinciodakota

Cool..Here is what I got so far to answer your questions. It is 4x4 and possibly coming from the middle of the engine, well thats what it sounds like in the vehicle. I dont hear it when idling or anything. It pertains to when I am when the engine is reved while shifting gear. I think between 3000 and 4000 rpm. To describe the sound is like you hear the normal rev sound, then once it gets up there in rpm's from 1st to second you hear a whine, not squeal like a fan belt. Like a hi pitched whine..I hope that helps..I will try to duplicate this noise in higher gear and also while in nuetral stepping on accelerator

I do have another question. I tend to not have as much power in the higher gears as I would expect from a V-6, could it just be the miles or the age? It has great pickup from 1-3, but once in 4th it feels like overdrive already. Could it be my spark plugs??

I was also thinking of putting in a flowmaster exhaust and a k&n intake air filter, hopefully to help on the MPG's, but what is your take or experience with those?thanks in advance

Old 11-26-2010, 07:35 PM
issakar
Captain

Originally Posted by chinciodakota
Cool..Here is what I got so far to answer your questions. It is 4x4 and possibly coming from the middle of the engine, well thats what it sounds like in the vehicle. I dont hear it when idling or anything. It pertains to when I am when the engine is reved while shifting gear. I think between 3000 and 4000 rpm. To describe the sound is like you hear the normal rev sound, then once it gets up there in rpm's from 1st to second you hear a whine, not squeal like a fan belt. Like a hi pitched whine..I hope that helps..I will try to duplicate this noise in higher gear and also while in nuetral stepping on accelerator

I do have another question. I tend to not have as much power in the higher gears as I would expect from a V-6, could it just be the miles or the age? It has great pickup from 1-3, but once in 4th it feels like overdrive already. Could it be my spark plugs??

I was also thinking of putting in a flowmaster exhaust and a k&n intake air filter, hopefully to help on the MPG's, but what is your take or experience with those?thanks in advance
Have you been driving with the 4x4 engaged when the whining is happening? Definitely do some more troubleshooting on the sound and the specifics that cause it. I would be interested to find that it happens only when the vehicle is engaged in a forward gear. Again a video would be of help to ascertain the cause of your gremlin.

As far as the question about pickup, I am a little confused by the description used. you indicate "but once in 4th it feels like overdrive." I am confused by this because 4th gear is OD.

I personally have no experience with aftermarket exhaust and filters and such. I have heard of performance gains from upgrading all mentioned items. I am sure someone with more experience can chime in on these mods and give you a better idea of what to expect. That being said, I highly doubt you would see a decrease by making those modifications.

Alright, with that I am off to purchase a new battery for my Taurus (poor tired car.) I got out of work today and went to crank and got nothing! lol. Gotta love frigid winter weather on black friday!

Cheerz

Old 11-26-2010, 08:52 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it could be a syncro(if its manual transmission) i get a whining noise everytime i downshift into second when coming to a stop.

Old 11-27-2010, 02:46 PM
melodytoinvent
Captain

Originally Posted by shadowthedakota
it could be a syncro(if its manual transmission) i get a whining noise everytime i downshift into second when coming to a stop.
I dont have a manual but I was gonna say that to me, it just seems like its engine/tranny/tire/wind/or something noise. My truck makes a faint whine if I floor it sometimes or just under hard accel and it only does it from 1st to 2nd so yeah.

Quick Reply: Whining noise