1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

89 2.5L 5sp COIL/IGNITION problems?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:33 PM
j_parnin55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 2.5L 5sp COIL/IGNITION problems?

i am experiencing some sort of coil or ignition problem. sometimes the coil sends spark to the distributor, some times it doesnt. i have already replaced the coil, it is brand new. somtimes it just wont start, other times it runs fine and cuts out going down the road.

all help is appreciated,
justin.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:08 PM
swapdip
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Justin I experienced similar problems with my 92. You should check that your auto shutdown relay is functioning well, just swap it out with one of your other relays and see if the problem disappears. If that is not the culprit, you may need to change out your SMEC. I don't want to say immediately jump to blaming the computer, but after hopelessly replacing about a million other things on my truck, I found out that the computer was at fault.

Old 11-29-2010, 12:24 PM
j_parnin55

im not sure where to find the ASD. i dont have a relay box behind the battery, only the washer fluid tank i think. i used these thread for help:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ml#post1678925

but i dont even see a splice similar to that. i do have four square connectors (relays maybe?) bolted to the inner fender and all those look clean.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:25 PM
swapdip
Rookie

Well, first you should definitely track down a repair manual. I am not sure where your relay box is, mine is a little plastic box in the inside corner of the firewall and fender on the drivers side, next to the washer fluid tank. You open the lid and it is indicated which is the ASD relay. My relays all appeared to be free from corrosion as well, but since they have moving parts inside I assumed that something went screwy internally.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM
j_parnin55

apparently my edit didnt go through. i did find it and switched it out with a relay out of my 2000 cougar. i didnt see any corrosion nor did i hear it rattle or anything. i also checked connections leading up to the relay and they also appeared to be good.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:16 PM
swapdip
Rookie

OK so what happened after you switched out the relay? Any difference n the way it ran?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:24 PM
misfitdakota_95
Professional

how is your coil mounted? Is it laying flat on its side or is it mounted up & down? Sometimes when a coil is mounted sideways, the oil inside the coil that keeps it cool will shift around while cornering and cause the vehicle to stall. I know I found that out on an old '88 Dodge Aries K-Car with a 2.2.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:59 PM
j_parnin55

Originally Posted by swapdip
OK so what happened after you switched out the relay? Any difference n the way it ran?
after i switched out the relay it still wouldnt start. i got a friend at the local dodge dealer that is gonna get me a relay he had laying around tomorrow to see if that works. i'll let you know.

and yes, the coil does lay sideways. i've also been told that if the coil heats up it will shut off. i will try repositioning the coil to see if that works.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:02 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea, I believe they introduced the "Power Distribution Center" (PDC, or "that black power box") in 1992, maybe 1993.
Before that, they just have relays across the left inner-fender and firewall.

It could be an AutoShutdown Relay problem.
Unfortunately, I don't have a wiring digram available for 1989 (or similar years).
All I can suggest is to shoot wires to the coil (the coil will get its positive power from the ASD relay; and will get its ground from the computer).

You should also shoot wires to the ASD relay.
However, if you get FUEL, I can automatically tell you the ASD relay is good (regardless of year, the ASD sends power to the coil, and fuel injectors; on years before 1992 or 1993, it also supplies power to the fuel pump)

The ASD (and fuel pump relay) are not always energized whenever they key is in the "ON" position.
They briefly energize when the key is put to "ON," and than fully kept energized when the key is turned to "START" and, when the engine is successfully running, stay energized when returned to "ON."

Old 11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Soundguy
Professional

Justin, have you done a code check with your check engine light yet?

I had similar problems as well as my bro-in-law before I got the truck from him.

I did a code check and an "11" code popped up. He'd already changed a bunch of sensors (w/o performing the check.) I put a new crankshaft position sensor in and the problem stopped. It's cranked every single time since.

*knocks on wood*

Some days it would crank, some days it wouldn't. The new CPS was just what the Dr. ordered.

Code Chart and how to retrieve:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-96-codes.html

Last edited by Soundguy; 11-29-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 89 2.5L 5sp COIL/IGNITION problems?