1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dana 44 Solid Axle Swap. Tons of pics. Discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:17 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Today finally I got to test drive the truck. I cruised around the neighborhood and tested out the 4wd in a dirt lot down the street. Everything feels good. But the steering needs some adjustment to get it driving straight and the driver side is to high. I'm hoping by the end of the week I can get it all taken care of and drive the major streets.

Here are a few quick pics of the truck on the dirt lot. It is so tall now! My friend has a Tacoma with 37's, and I'm taller than him with my 33's. SWEET!

Old 09-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Well I’ve been driving the truck for about 2 months a couple days a week. Due to needing a 2nd vehicle I rushed into driving it regularly before I was completely done. And she drives great and offroads like a dream, the little I have done so far anyways. But since it wasn’t complete I didn’t drive it hard or even post up pics or videos.

I've been basically driving without any shocks and I had bad bump steer, but that is what I get for rushing into it.
See the Tech thread for the details on the shock details and the Trac-Bar install. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-thread-2.html

I think I got 2 last projects to do. One is the steering dampener shock; it is really hard to find the perfect spot to place it at. I think I will need to cut and modify the bracket.

Next is to build a sub-crossmemeber to bolt to the motor mounts where the diff went, just to strengthen up that area a bit. Maybe add a small oil pan skid plate/protector to that crossmemeber since I got some room.

So it appears finally am almost finished with my SAS. What makes it worse is due to the larger transmission oil cooler I installed 2 weeks ago I have less clearance in between the radiator and cooler and the cooler line hose clamp head punctured the radiator, which I just got the radiator fixed 2 weeks ago. So now I got to wait till tomorrow to get it repaired since today is Labor Day, so I can’t test out my new setup. I hate waiting!! I still need to get an alignment too, but I got the lifetime alignment from Firestone, so that one is easy.

Here is a quick video I did with my phone (Sorry for the quality) of the first test drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgtVGLEb92Y

Here are few pictures of the first test drive offroad, it is at night close to my house at an old construction site. I cruised up this very steep soft dirt hill.

Here is a picture next to my friends 2004 Jeep Wrangler JK with 33’s.

Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Well I took her on her first real offroad test. Got some good hills hit some rocks, got a little stock after one rock I was on rolled and the truck landed on it leaf spring on anther rock. So I got to test out my winch. All in the videos. Oh ya before all of that the driver side shock upper shock mount broke on light stuff. I thought it might, oh well time to have fun making a new one.

Here are a few more pictures and videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgRFRCJSeqY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt-XmXnvE1k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRJhNBy4IT4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABGdEO3d7Ug

Old 09-12-2011, 12:23 PM
logancounterman
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

awesome. that truck is beast. loving the new look of it all done. nice job on the sas.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need bigger tires now to fill the gap! :P

Old 09-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Thanks guys! I think I will kill these tires before I go bigger. I just bought these not to long ago, only a few months on them.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

what size tire are you going to go up too.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:42 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I was thinking without changing my rear axle since I still got the Chry 8.25 true 35's so maybe 36's by tire size.

I'll probably change it out to a Chry 9.25 but not for a while. Then the front axle will be the weak link to go taller.

What are your tire size plans?

Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
logancounterman
Veteran

w\i want to run 37 goodyear oz tires. but time willl tell.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:48 PM
xGROMx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sitting here reading through your posts looking for a few answers for questions I want to ask ya. Well, here is what I couldn't find. I am planning on SAS'ing an 01 Dakota, the 01's I think are going to be the hardest out of the models. (Rack and Pinion)

The Waggy D44, is the one you used Wide or Narrow Track? I have a Wide Waggy off a J10.

What front springs did you choose? (length and were did you purchase?)

Are you planning on staying with the stock rear? I would like to swap that also but have a problem withe finding a 6lug with a speed ring.

Where did you buy your brackets and hangers? (what sites or stores)

I know there will be many more questions, creating a list.

Thanks
Anthony

Last edited by xGROMx; 09-20-2011 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Dana 44 Solid Axle Swap. Tons of pics. Discussion thread