1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Leaf spring shackle flip. Easy 3.25in lift!! With pics

Old 03-26-2012, 05:06 PM
MacDak
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look great, Crazy! I did not know it was that simple to lift the rear. My '93 is stock, but I wouldn't mind the whole truck to be about 2" higher. When I get the time, I might give it a try. Thanks for this post! And the photos!!

Wow, Crazy!! I just watched the video in your link about rock/snow climbing - made me nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I just knew something was going to break!!!

Last edited by MacDak; 03-26-2012 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by codeym
i wanna lift my truck, but dont quite understand how this lift the truck heres some pics of my shackle hangers(91 v6 single cab 2wd):
i have a buddy at a welding shop so he could make some shackle but im not quite sure exactly how they lift the truck
The bracket flip works on 4wd for lift. Doing a flip on 2wd will actually lower it.
2wd have the hangers as you posted, 4wd have the hangers opposite of 2wd where they are upwards. A good way for you to pick up some easy lift is by using lift/lower shackles as I did (Not the flip shackle brackets). That will give you some lift. Also an AAL Add A Leaf kit will give you a few inches. Blocks too but I hate cheater blocks.

Originally Posted by MacDak
Look great, Crazy! I did not know it was that simple to lift the rear. My '93 is stock, but I wouldn't mind the whole truck to be about 2" higher. When I get the time, I might give it a try. Thanks for this post! And the photos!!

Wow, Crazy!! I just watched the video in your link about rock/snow climbing - made me nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs! I just knew something was going to break!!!
LOL. It was fun, can't wait to do it again. I need a front locker.

Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 PM
codeym
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont wanna us blocks because im not too sure of the body mount bolts, and wanna lift but nothing expensive, preferably the cheaper the better. so the brackets you have are basically extending the factory brackets

Old 03-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Are you talking about body lift blocks? The body lift 2in kits are safe and all the bolts are included usually under $100 for the kit.

The blocks I was talking about are for the axle, but now that I think of it 2wd wont be able to use it to lift.

Yes the brackets I have extend the factory location as well as flip the hanger position.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Ever since I did the swap on the rear of the leaf spring brackets I've been wanting to do the front. It feels like the rear is to stiff due to the angle of the leaf springs. As well as it helps with lowing the spring to give lift, so I can remove the lift leaf spring shackle/hanger, So I ordered the same brackets that I used on the rear, although the front side is not the exact bolt pattern as the rear, so custom drilling new bolt holes are required. I used the stock 2 lower bolt holes and just drilled new upper holes. Grade 8 1/2 bolts. At the same time in order to gain some more articulation out of the rearend I removed the Ram 2500 leaf spring that has been giving me most of my lift on the rear. As well as add in a few softer leafs to help gain some lift back but not by arching the springs. I'm still need to do more adjustments to level it to the front. I also did a Body lift delete which lowered the truck 2in, it was just to top heavy due to its lift. On off camber situations left you feeling like it was going to tip. Stability is key.

I can't tell you how much this will lift a stock since I did more work to lower and lift the rear then just the mount swap alone.

Here are some photos.
Stock

New brackets

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 10-12-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 AM
miketodd248

I wanna lift mine for reasonably cheap but I have no idea where to start and what you did made your truck sit about as high as I want mine but i haven't really got under my truck so I don't know much about it so all 1st gen dakotas have that bracket?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Cope_dipper

Where did you get that brush gaurd at? Ive been looking for one for my 93 dakota for a while now.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I custom built mine off of one that was from an 80's Ford truck. Here is my write up.https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2522004-post39.html
Ebay tends to be the last place to find a bolt on units.

Here is the write up from the FAQ.
Brush Guards, Push Bars, Light bars

www.Jcw.com has some light bars.
For a full size guard there is only one. www.ebay.com

A few others said cap-it.com has it and smittybilt.com, Westin.com but I checked I couldn't find anything Or custom make it. I custom made mine. You may also be able to get a 2nd gen and try it. I believe the frame widths are the same.

One guy said he got it from this site. It doesn't have it listed but give them a call. http://www.armorrex.com/product/prod...eID=9&cateID=4

Go Industries site Knockdown Grille Brush Guards

Custom made is always an option. Here is my custom made push bar write-up. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2522004-post39.html

Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM
OMGnanerpus
Rookie

Sorry if this was already stated somewhere, but what did you do to lengthen your rear brake hose? All the parts stores around me say that have nothing with the same fittings that's long enough. Did you have to have it custom made?

And you used the "Offset 1" Zero Rate Add a Leaves™" to help shift the axle back. Would some normal 2 inch blocks do that too?

I've done the same Shackles and hangar as you, and i already have some 2 inch blocks in there. Want to make sure i don't destroy anything

Old 05-04-2015, 03:56 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

I didn't lengthen my hoses, I relocated the mounts down.
In my case, I needed the offset leaf since my entire build is different from anyone else, you might not need it at all. No normal lift blocks won't do the offset, but like I said you might not need it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaf spring shackle flip. Easy 3.25in lift!! With pics