1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

brake line fittings

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 11:01 AM
gatorchin
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake line fittings

i'm getting ready to run new brake lines on my 93 2wd and i 'm getting a roll of 3/16" line, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what size fittings i need..or does it matter as long as i get them to fit the 3/16" tube size? can i re-use old fittings?

Last edited by gatorchin; 09-24-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: needed to add
Old 09-24-2011, 09:47 PM
ddgdkt96
Professional

I think you are opening up a can of worms. I would buy the pre-fitted ones with the approximate lengths, and then bend it to shape. Bring the old ones with you so you can match up the fittings. I think there are different ones for different connections.
Good luck with roll.

Old 09-24-2011, 10:02 PM
eddys89vert
Amateur

i know where i live you cannot use soft rolls as they are too soft of a material for safety reasons. i was told by several people that i had to use hard lines with NO connections between the factory splitters and valves. soft lines have a lower psi than hard lines........ oh i live in florida. lucky no vehicle inspections so you might be able to use soft lines but i wouldnt. whats a few more bucks for safety reasons.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:34 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The typical 3/8"x24 fitting work on just about everything. (These are the typical 3/16" brake line fittings)

For the master cylinder, however: One fitting is 1/2"x20 and the other is 9/16"x20.
You -can- use standard length fittings (MAKE SURE THEY ARE FOR 3/16" BRAKE TUBING!!), but it came really, really close to reaching the end of the threads (bottoming out without applying pressure on the tubing below).
For that reason, you should use the proper replacement.
See the following:
http://store.fedhillusa.com/a153.aspx
http://store.fedhillusa.com/a163.aspx
(If you look closely at the pictures in these links, you see on the fitting, where the flared part of the tube would butt against the fitting, it has a little bit of a non-threaded portion after the threads end, that act like an extension that is really needed with the master cylinder)

On my 1996 there was, I think, one or two other places that didn't use the typical 3/8" fitting.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:51 PM
CT Dakota

Outside of taking the existing brake line out and measuring it, where did you find out how much line you needed?

Old 10-10-2011, 08:31 PM
gatorchin
Amateur

the local part stores sell 25ft rolls so i was just guessing that would be enough..as of yet i have just replaced the rear-middle out lines...i was replacing my wheel cylinders and the lines snapped when trying to loosen the fittings...luckily i was at my friends garage and he had some extra brake line so we just matched them up and replaced them...but when i get time i do plan on replacing the rest of them, although i may not get the roll i may just get pre-cut lines..should save time and work trying to get the flares right and everything

Old 10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Joezilla64
Amateur

I have replaced every hard line on my truck.
You're going to need the 25' roll and the standard 3/16" line fittings. It doesn't matter if they're the long or short ones.
Practice flaring the lines and don't forget to put the fittings on first lol.
On my truck the line going from the rear to the engine bay was about 13' and i had to make it in 3 sections and connect them together.
The larger fittings used on the master cylinder and other components hold up well so you can probably reuse them.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: brake line fittings