1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

4x6 H4 HID's & Turn Signal LEDs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 05:07 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb 4x6 H4 HID's & Turn Signal LEDs?

I ordered these headlight lenses, they are the only black 4x6's I can find made out of glass. Looks like they have an opening for some sort of accessory lighting, maybe I will put some strobes in them so I can safely pass old ****s in a non-passing zone haha I will need some H4 bulbs and ballasts I want good ones but don't even know where to start. I hope these lenses are not cheaply made, I'm going to go with 6000k bulbs because I want a crisp bright white without ANY of that blue nonsense.
Name:  zftjhty.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  154.5 KB

I also ordered a set of clear turn signal lenses that I plan to use LED bulbs in:
Name:  aeruy.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  19.2 KB

Has anyone tried the amber LED bulbs that fit into factory sockets? Reviews seem to be a hit or miss online, any suggestions?

Are these Kensun HID Xenon conversion kits any good? I can get two digital ballasts and 6000k bulbs all for $72 but if it's cheap junk I don't want it.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:21 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Those turns don't look like they are made for our truck. There are clears that are direct bolt on's. www.Ebay.com

I just took my stock light bulb into Autozone and match up by size with an Amber color. It works good.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Rabid21
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to butt in here but I have a few questions.
Are those direct fit for our Dakotas?
Are they meant for the sealed beam or the "Aerodynamic" Front end set up the 91+ got
Sorry to ask but I'm looking into new lens for my truck :P

Btw they look awesome

Old 10-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Joezilla64
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pinkfloydeffect
I ordered these headlight lenses, they are the only black 4x6's I can find made out of glass. Looks like they have an opening for some sort of accessory lighting, maybe I will put some strobes in them so I can safely pass old ****s in a non-passing zone haha I will need some H4 bulbs and ballasts I want good ones but don't even know where to start. I hope these lenses are not cheaply made, I'm going to go with 6000k bulbs because I want a crisp bright white without ANY of that blue nonsense.

I also ordered a set of clear turn signal lenses that I plan to use LED bulbs in:

Has anyone tried the amber LED bulbs that fit into factory sockets? Reviews seem to be a hit or miss online, any suggestions?

Are these Kensun HID Xenon conversion kits any good? I can get two digital ballasts and 6000k bulbs all for $72 but if it's cheap junk I don't want it.
With HID kits you get what you pay for. Cheap kits have very bad quality control and are hit or miss. They don't last long, have poor light output, don't always fire up, and the color of the bulbs can be off. (a bulb marked at 6000k might really be 8000k or 5000k)
Good quality HID kits are at least $400.
HID kits are also very frowned upon because the have lots of glare and don't have the light output of a proper HID setup.
But if you don't mind any of these issues you can get the DDM tuning kit really cheap with a lifetime warranty.
As for the bulbs, 6000k will have lots of blue. The factory HIDs on my other car are 4300k and they are light blue or white depending on the angle you look at them. If you go higher than 4300k you start losing visual light.
Led lights are the same way. If you go cheap they might not last very long. I know a website with some nice leds. If I can find out what its called I'll let you know.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:41 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Cool! Can't wait to see how it turns out. Those turns don't look like they are made for our truck. There are clears that are direct bolt on's. www.Ebay.com

I just took my stock light bulb into Autozone and match up by size with an Amber color. It works good.
The turns are for the 87-90ish (mine is an 88') they bolt right in.

I want an Amber LED bulbs though, not incandescent. I've read about various problems people experience using the LED bulbs (they have the same socket for interface compatibility).

Originally Posted by Rabid21
Just to butt in here but I have a few questions.
Are those direct fit for our Dakotas?
Are they meant for the sealed beam or the "Aerodynamic" Front end set up the 91+ got
Sorry to ask but I'm looking into new lens for my truck :P

Btw they look awesome
87-90ish direct fit.

Originally Posted by Joezilla64
With HID kits you get what you pay for. Cheap kits have very bad quality control and are hit or miss. They don't last long, have poor light output, don't always fire up, and the color of the bulbs can be off. (a bulb marked at 6000k might really be 8000k or 5000k)
Good quality HID kits are at least $400.
HID kits are also very frowned upon because the have lots of glare and don't have the light output of a proper HID setup.
But if you don't mind any of these issues you can get the DDM tuning kit really cheap with a lifetime warranty.
As for the bulbs, 6000k will have lots of blue. The factory HIDs on my other car are 4300k and they are light blue or white depending on the angle you look at them. If you go higher than 4300k you start losing visual light.
Led lights are the same way. If you go cheap they might not last very long. I know a website with some nice leds. If I can find out what its called I'll let you know.
Aw dang, well the Kensun kits have good reviews on Amazon but I can't find the return or warranty information lol. People have a few issues with the high beams being halogen or DRL flickering but I don't have either. I can always buy my bulbs somewhere else, but they will come with some 4300k bulbs I guess (I will try them). It says 'slim' ballast which sounds like something they need to improve before going slim because I have plenty of room for larger ones if they are better I just don't know who makes good ones.

I've read about the LED turn signal bulbs giving false bulb out readings to the computer because of their low power draw. Also some people report them not being as bright as their stock incandescent bulbs, I was thinking about checking with my local stores before buying online so I can return them easier. I'm not doing the running lights because I removed them for appearance reasons, but tail light bulbs will be next. On a side note I also ordered an LED dome light bulb 'panel' that fits in the stock socket!

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 10-29-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:36 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

I decided that I'm going to hold off on the HID setup since I THINK the bulbs that the lenses came with are halogen, so they can be used as is. Problem I have is I do not want to cut the factory plug off the wires but I cannot find a male plug for the factory female. The plugs need to be cleaned up but I do not think they will fit on the new bulbs:
Name:  IMG_9264.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  84.0 KB

Name:  IMG_9258.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  69.5 KB

So I bought these plugs at an auto parts store I crimped on some male disconnects, and used shrink wrap where the wire meets the crimp sleeve. The male crimp disconnects actually fit snugly in the factory plugs, I will zip-tie the whole thing in place and it should be good to go.
Name:  IMG_9245.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  309.4 KB

Name:  IMG_9320.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  57.3 KB

Name:  IMG_9320-Copy.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  89.4 KB

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say match up the red and black, then the blue pairs with the green? What is the third wire for there is only a single lo-beam, positive-negative-other?
Name:  IMG_9265.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  85.1 KB

I have not had the time to install them yet but here is what the new cluster will look like (not lit; camera flash)
Name:  IMG_9305.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  149.5 KB

As far as turn signals go I have learned to stay away from the flat topped LED bulbs that do not shine in a 360 degree angle, as for they do not utilize your reflectors and illuminate the entire colored plastic that be red or amber. I tried this set from a local auto parts store in my tail lights, did not even try the turn signals I'm sure I would get the same effect.
Name:  IMG_9293.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  75.5 KB

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 11-08-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:12 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

*THREAD BUMP*

Still trying to figure out the headlight wiring! Black--Red--Blue ? Ground--Lo-Beam--Hi-Beam ? The truck only has an on/off switch so they must be Lo-Beam but why the third wire then?

Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black-Ground
Red-Should be low beam
Green-Should be high beam.
Just take a test light and see for sure. Your high beam switch, if its like later years, is on the turn signal stalk. Pull back for high beams.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:01 AM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

Oh really? I should check that out I never knew I had hi-beams haha.

UPDATE:
...well noo sh*t, I DO have high beams! Explains why everyone is always putting their high beams on before they pass me, I was wondering if I had a big sign hanging on the front of my truck that says I'm a ***** or something but that would explain it for sure.

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 11-18-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:13 PM
pinkfloydeffect
All Star

So I got the headlights in but...the shells required modification to fit these lens. This is what they looked like before:
Name:  IMG_9451.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  211.0 KB
Name:  IMG_9456.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  173.4 KB

I first had to cut a slightly wider circle in the rear of the shell, then the bezel would not fit over the lenses (I tried everything). So I had to cut a slit on all 4 corners to be able to stretch it over, they fit nicely now but definitely should not be advertised for this vehicle (moreless a universal 4x6)
Name:  IMG_9460.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  206.1 KB
Name:  IMG_9466.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  198.9 KB

As for the wiring I did not want to cut the factory plugs so I used male end crimp disconnects, the yellow stuff is "Crown Battery Terminal" stuff/spray (but the can was dated 1969 haha) then I actually sealed them together with superglue:
Name:  IMG_9458.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  48.5 KB

I cut the pigtail off the old turn signals since the new sockets I ordered do not have factory plugs on them, and harnessed them up:
Name:  IMG_9468.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  199.4 KB

The amber bulb behind the clear lens has a much cleaner modern look to it if you ask me:
Name:  IMG_9426.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  95.2 KB

Here is a comparison between the old and new cluster minus a bumper haha:
Name:  IMG_9443.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  153.3 KB

Along with a night comparison, I am bummed to find these black reflectors really take a hit to my brightness. The stock lights are brighter, I may have to do a HID conversion just to makeup for the difference and I probably wouldn't even gain anything over stock halogens!
Name:  IMG_9425.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  52.7 KB

As you can see here the right (stock) light is brighter:
Name:  IMG_9437.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  44.4 KB

This is what it looks like when I park closer to the door, the smiley face is the new lens haha
Name:  IMG_9435.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  56.4 KB

Last edited by pinkfloydeffect; 11-21-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 4x6 H4 HID's & Turn Signal LEDs?