1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

transmission problems 93 318 2wd auto longbed

Old 11-14-2011, 11:13 AM
1stgen318ci93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems 93 318 2wd auto longbed

hey guys i got a 1993 318 long bed w/automatic transmission. i parked it just fine in the afternoon yesterday after a 1 mile drive from my friends house. when i went to reverse out of my driveway at night the truck would go front-back,front-back intermittently and it does not have a neutral position either.

when i accelerate it on park it will not reach high rpm's almost as if something is stopping it from revving high? it drives forward just fine but it has no neutral or reverse.

what should i do before i get raped at the transmission shop? or is it destroyed?

thank you all in advance.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:22 AM
1stgen318ci93
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a little over 211k on it and i dont know if the tranny has every been worked on. i've had it for about 3 years/ 16k miles. had it diagnosed about a year ago and was told injector 7 was faulty(causing my check engine light to be on). truck has always ran fine. i change its oil/filters/plugs often. ignition coil has been replaced twice. belt tensioner as well as the belt.

i think i broke a plug wire when taking out the plugs 4 days ago because the metal stayed on the plug when i pulled out the socket. i jammed it back in and the truck runs just fine, i pulled my boat out this weekend and all. i am low on cash so i don't want to get the wire if thats not the problem with the tranny.

now all of a sudden it wont reverse or go in neutral and in park it wont rev to high.

i just want to give you all a thorough description of the truck so you may have an idea of what i'm working with.

transmission oil looks light reddish, im guessing thats good.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: transmission problems 93 318 2wd auto longbed