1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9L engine rebiuld

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
hogback
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much would a v8 cost i would be interested but i dont have much money at all like i could over all spend $300 so it would have to be very cheap

Last edited by hogback; 11-20-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:22 PM
bill55az
Veteran

better save some more money, rebuilding your old one will cost a lot more than that. The heads alone will set you back that much....

Old 11-20-2011, 04:38 PM
hogback
Professional

i don't plan on doing anything to the heads i am just doing a re ring kit including rings valve stem seals gasket set and rod and main bearings no machining just a tune up of sorts but i am up to any suggestions on cheap performance parts ideas

Old 11-20-2011, 05:02 PM
bill55az
Veteran

without a compression test, you don't know yet what needs the most attention....

Old 11-20-2011, 06:41 PM
hogback
Professional

i might do a compression test i can borrow a tester from my teacher and when i tear it apart i can borrow a cylinder hone also

Old 11-21-2011, 08:58 PM
hogback
Professional

im also thinking throttle body spacer straight piped duels no glass pack or cats and i will sell them and the a homemade cold air intake also heavier valve springs and used roller rockers

Old 11-21-2011, 10:15 PM
InnerCityHillBilly
Veteran

do you have the LA? throttle body do nothing for the magnum engines but not so sure for the LA's, i would save your money and use it for something else

Old 11-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Shelbyfan
Professional

I am going to make a suggestion, maybe 3.
Figure out what is wrong FIRST.
Find out what your budget is FIRST.
Don't listen to old school hot rodders when building for a modern vehicle.

People on this sight know just about everything about these vehicles and how to mod them for best performance, listen to them, don't listen to "Buck" in the garage who builds chvy 350's, drops them in a POS nova and tells you to do a bunch of stuff that isn't applicable to a modern vehicle, especially a magnum Mopar engine.

You seem to be on the right track but don't let your exuberance get in your way, otherwise your budget is shot and you have a partially working vehicle. Everyone over the age of 30 and is into cars knows exactly what I am talking about.

Get your heads done. You will get more power and efficiency out of them and you will not have to worry about them for a long time. They most likely need welded in between the runners, it's common, cheap, and the fix lasts a lot longer than factory. Not only fixed but a good port and polish job, get them to flow.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:26 PM
bill55az
Veteran

Originally Posted by hogback
im also thinking throttle body spacer straight piped duels no glass pack or cats and i will sell them and the a homemade cold air intake also heavier valve springs and used roller rockers
throttle body spacers are worthless, save your money....

It is illegal to run without catalytic converter, and no mufflers at all is not good for the engine and it will attract the ticket writers.

you don't need heavier valve springs unless you want to stress your valve train...

the 89 v6 alreadly has roller lifter valve train...

you gots lots of reading to do before tearing into that truck, lots....

Old 11-22-2011, 06:26 AM
hogback
Professional

i know i need to read that's why im on there and that's why i suggested those things so i could see what you guys think. But I dont have a big budget so why would i get my heads done when then i would have a non running truck with good heads that is still leaking.

the reason i am doing this rebuild is that it is leaking out the rear main seal and that means it has to come out so i though i should replace all the gaskets while i have the chance then i ran into the re ring kit and i was fascinated and i want to do that because i like engines

I dont work nor do i get money from anything so i cant just do one thing wait till i get the money and then do another it would take 10 years so i cant do anything major
Any suggestions are still welcome and donations for your guys expensive fixes are also welcome

Quick Reply: 3.9L engine rebiuld