1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Fuel pressure regulator ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 05:29 PM
1stG92
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pressure regulator ?

I believe my pressure regulator is faulty and was wondering if it's possible to put an aftermarket on my truck.I have an adjustable one that ranges from 0-140psi and wanted to put that on since I really don't have another $65 for the OEM..

Old 12-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it is possible to put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. But you will need to find adapters ect. It is just better to replace it for a new one.

Did you test it with a fuel pressure gauge to verify it is faulty?

Old 12-27-2011, 07:02 AM
1stG92
Professional

No I have not tested it. Sadly the only local store that rents the tester wants $200.From reading forums,and I read several..The symptoms are the fuel regulator.This was my test.(Also,this is a problem that got progressively worse over the course of a week).....

1-Sat idle for 10min,No problem.
2-Reved it up 5-6 times,No problem.
3-Gave it throttle and held it it there,lasted about 3 seconds and sputtered coughed choked then shut down.

I'm first going to change the in-tank filter on the pump as I have already done the outside one...Start with the cheaper stuff and work my way up,lol.Luv this truck I really hate for it to **** me off enough to get rid of it.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 AM
1stG92
Professional

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Yes it is possible to put an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. But you will need to find adapters ect. It is just better to replace it for a new one.

Did you test it with a fuel pressure gauge to verify it is faulty?
As I said I really don't have the money right now to buy another regulator.If I did I would certainly go right ahead and get 1.I do have an adjustable in my garage that was only used a few months.I would like to know about these adapters you mentioned..Are they for the size of the fuel lines?I consider myself very mechanically inclined as I work on all my vehicles myself.I'm sure I have what I need in my garage to put this together BUT I've never used an aftermarket before...Thank you for all your help also.This site has been a godsent.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:28 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Without knowing exactly what the regulator you got I don't know what you need. Your going to have to figure everything out by your self. 100% custom! www.summitracing.com will be your best bet for adapters also try www.Google.com

Its going to be to much work and money to adapt it. Like I said it is best to get the stock regulator, I know you can't afford it.

Did you test the fuel pressure?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:42 PM
1stG92
Professional
Smile

Thanx Crazy..I'm too old n impatient to go to deep into this,lol.I'm looking into getting an OEM and keep it simple..

Old 12-30-2011, 07:50 AM
1stG92
Professional
Default Fuel pressure test came back GOOD

Ok,eliminated pump and pressure valve.Test came back between 35-40 psi steady.Could a sensor or the TB itself make it run like this? Almost seems as a filter is clogged but I would think it wouldn't run good at idle speed long either.Also I recently changed the one on the frame...I am actually gonna try cleaning all the sensors and TB today to see if it makes a difference but if anyone knows of something I could check that I'm missing please,would love to know...Thank you

Quick Reply: Fuel pressure regulator ?