1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Replaced Fuel Sending Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 PM
JR318
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Fuel Sending Unit

Hey guys I just thought I would share a little information about my truck. I bought my truck about a year ago and since I bought it I have had the truck cut off on me a few times while coming to a stop with the my foot off the gas pedal. I replaced a bunch of parts with performance parts and it never gave me any more trouble so never thought much more of it. I have run the truck at the strip a few times and noticed a surge right before the truck shifted into the next gear. I was never able to find the source of the problem and it only did it a handful of times. About a week ago I noticed my fuel pump was making a louder humming noise than usually. My fuel gauge has always been off a little and found that out by running out of gas once. The gauge was only off about 1/8th a tank. A couple days ago I had made a long trip and on my way back my truck started acting up while going down the interstate. The truck acted just like it did the time it ran out of gas. I was able to exit off and check the fluids, plug wires, and vacuum lines but everything looked ok. The truck started to run better so I got back on the interstate. After a few miles it started acting up again so I exited off once more. I went ahead and put $20 worth of gas in and brought it up to 3/4 of a tank. I made it the rest of the way home with no issues and the truck ran just fine. After thinking things over I decided to go ahead and buy a new fuel pump. I changed the fuel pump out today and all my problems are gone including the surge at WOT. The truck has 147,000 miles on it and I'm not sure if the fuel sending unit has been changed before but it had a round metal filter on the bottom and it is a Carter unit. The new fuel sending unit I bought from NAPA and was a Carter with a round metal filter on the bottom. I had to reuse the rollover valve and didn't want to break it so I cut the fuel sending unit housing up and used snips to cut the plastic up to the grommet on both sides and the plastic broke allowing me to just pull both pieces off the grommet and install into the new unit. I just wanted to share this information for those that may have some of the same issues going on with there truck. Hope this is helpful to someone in the future. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:17 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Cool. I'm glad you got it fixed.

So what were your times at the drag strip? 1/4 or 1/8 mile?

Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 AM
DirtyHarry83
Amateur

Originally Posted by JR318
I had to reuse the rollover valve and didn't want to break it so I cut the fuel sending unit housing up and used snips to cut the plastic up to the grommet on both sides and the plastic broke allowing me to just pull both pieces off the grommet and install into the new unit.
This is where I had problems too. I found breaking down the pump so I could get behind the rollover valve allowed me to carefully take it apart from under, and apply pressure with a breaker bar to pop it out.

Glad all worked out for you. Does the sender work better now? It sounds like it was rubbing the tank wall.

I've seen several posts recently about fuel pump issues. I am not sure why people are dropping the tank rather than pulling 8 bolts, dropping the spare, 3 plug wires, 3 screws on the fill neck, and taking the bed off. It makes it 100 times easier for testing, and replacement of the pump. Plus it lets you look things over to make sure that all is well.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
JR318
Veteran

I ran 1/8th mile at 9.6 I believe it was. I have the slips at home in the dash of the truck. And yes the sending unit seems to be working perfectly. I don't think it was hitting the tank but the little strip the float arm rides on for the resistance reading was worn and the empty marks.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:49 AM
JDakota92
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sending unit issues are common on these trucks. I have had three, and all of them lied. Fortunately, the gas light has been dead on every time. When it's on, I usually have about 5 gallons or so left.

Quick Reply: Replaced Fuel Sending Unit