1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 08:07 AM
dodger8691
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hard to start

if my truck sis for more than 15-20 minutes it gets hard to start when I turn the key and it just cranks sometimes it will start with the first turn of the key after cranking for a bit other times I have toturn the key back to off and do it a second time and usually this works. a friend of mine who is a mechanic and the dodge dealer said to turn the key on for a few seconds then try and start it but it doesn't seem to be working to well. once the truck is started it runs fine it will drive stop and pull like normal. any suggestions im a little annoyed because I just started throwing money at it for the front end and a few little things it needed this just add to it.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:09 AM
mopar_guy
Amateur

I don't know if this will help or not, but I bought a '89 Dakota new 24 years ago. My truck has done the same thing from day one. What I do is just crank the motor for a second and then let the key go back to the "on" position. Then I start the truck "normally" after a second and it always starts immediately. I think that this allows the fuel system to come up to pressure. I don't think that this is a problem, just a quirk.

Dave

Old 07-04-2013, 12:23 PM
dodger8691
Professional

my truck never did it it just started to do it not even a week ago it always started right up I was told it could be something with the fuel pump so that is a job for another mechanic because im going to be lazy an not do it lol

Quick Reply: hard to start