1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

New 90 Vert Owner - Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 11:32 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I second the "headlight relays". I have a fuse block and a junction block I've added to my 1988; I also use the self-resetting circuit breakers that Bussman sells ( such as, IIRC, http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...IB20/N0227.oap ... it is one that has over long legs you break the legs off to make it fit right. SUGGESTION: If you go for circuit breakers, which will reset when you turn the lights off, break off a section at a time to get it to fit; IIRC, it was the middle break, NOT the shortest leg break, that fit!)

Fuse box I have is this one from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BV1MS1K/ .

I used an distribution block from a mid-80's Chevy pickup; this will make it easier to replace the fusible links if I ever have to *grins* THIS fuse block can also be used if there's enough slack on the main 12V feed wire, or you don't have a cruise control servo. (Blue Sea also has a 12 circuit if you just really, REALLY want to replace the fusible links with fuses and/or circuit breakers ...)

Note I learned that might not apply to you: Use "bulb grease" in ALL the contacts; mine is close enough to the battery that the first one corroded a bit (and wasn't a Blue Sea unit ... )

RwP

Old 04-24-2017, 04:23 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Headlight Switch in, and all is working interior wise...and to answer an earlier question, yes the LED's dim...although it's not linear down to zero like an incandescent, but works fine.

Installed new Black Edelbrock Carb with electric choke to replace my 1405 and set timing...35 BTDC is what I'm running, using the manifold port of the carb.

Went to permanently install the wiring for the electric choke, and in the process was going to re-do my alternator +. Note to self, disconnect the battery next time. So, the big copper lug on my + alternator connection, shorted against the alternator housing, and before I realized what was going on, POOF....a nice big fire where the fusible link gave up its life. Fortunately, it did its job and only one other wire in the bundle was singed, so I'm waiting on a new fusible link (10 AWG). Yeah, I know I could have gone with a re-settable breaker or inline fuse, but I like the hypalon links. Old school.

Anyway, other things I did over the weekend:

Adjusted E-cable
Set timing, idle, fuel mixture - Running a nice -18 vacuum at 850 idle RPM, and 35 BTDC timing at 3000 RPM.
Set Rear brake drum pads
Installed drive shaft
Topped off Coolant and PS fluid now that engine and R&P are full
Topped off transmission fluid now that converter should be full...I'd modified the VB so that the converter fills in park, so all the testing, I confirmed that 5 quarts, there wasn't a drop in the pan, so it made it to the converter.
Lifted truck and Ran in Reverse and Drive...Sounded pretty good and no clunking in transmission or rear end...of course real test will be under load

Need to bleed brakes one more time as they are still a bit spongey for my tastes.

Need to replace fusible link and finish wiring in electric choke.

Need to clean interior and re-install seats.

Goal is a test run later this week if the weather cooperates then off to the muffler shop for exhaust.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:58 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

We are getting lots of rain here. So Im going to get to work in the garage a little more today. Hope to hear you get it running this week!!

Since I jinxed you on the dash lights, Im NOT going to ask you how that cam idles!!

Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
We are getting lots of rain here. So Im going to get to work in the garage a little more today. Hope to hear you get it running this week!!

Since I jinxed you on the dash lights, Im NOT going to ask you how that cam idles!!
Cam sounds great....

Took Truck for maiden voyage today around neighborhood, after putting hood on. I've got a weird creaking sound in the rear when I let off the gas at slow speeds. At higher speeds and normal driving it goes away. Sounds almost like springs creaking.

Old 05-03-2017, 11:10 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker

From this to this....you've come a long way baby...

Still to do: Exhaust on today...Top replacement next week

Old 05-03-2017, 12:30 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one sweet ride Rob, would love to hear it in person! What does your wife think of her new ride? It is HER ride right?

Old 05-03-2017, 12:35 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ragged89

That's one sweet ride Rob, would love to hear it in person! What does your wife think of her new ride? It is HER ride right?
Ohhhhh yes....it's hers! Even with mushy brakes she insisted on driving it the 2 miles to the muffler shop. We stopped for gas, and between our home, the gas station and the muffler shop, we were approached or stop light questioned 4 times....lol Most want to know how we chopped the top off

Once I get the mufflers on, I'll take a video of it running.

Old 05-03-2017, 12:50 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Ohhhhh yes....it's hers! Even with mushy brakes she insisted on driving it the 2 miles to the muffler shop. We stopped for gas, and between our home, the gas station and the muffler shop, we were approached or stop light questioned 4 times....lol Most want to know how we chopped the top off

Once I get the mufflers on, I'll take a video of it running.
Haha, yep, that's the most common question I get too. I've thought about a personalized plate that says "FactryTrk", or maybe "fadity" (for a dollar I'll tell you)

Old 05-03-2017, 01:13 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by ragged89
Haha, yep, that's the most common question I get too. I've thought about a personalized plate that says "FactryTrk", or maybe "fadity" (for a dollar I'll tell you)
Too Funny!!! My wife wants one that says "Factory"

Old 05-04-2017, 09:20 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice! Good for you man!

Quick Reply: New 90 Vert Owner - Engine Swap