1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

A/C Drain, where is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 06:33 AM
marcar1993
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A/C Drain, where is it?

My a/c drips water (not coolant) into my truck. Where is the drain located, and how do I go about cleaning it out?

Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 PM
jimmyjimjim
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not completely certain, but I think the drain is just a short bit of pipe sticking out of the firewall. It's located behind a heat shield on the firewall right behind the exhaust manifold (passenger side). Click here to see a picture of what I'm talking about from my '95. Again, I'm not absolutely certain about this.

As far as cleaning it out, I've read that blowing compressed air might work. Not too sure though.

~ Jim

Old 10-07-2013, 02:17 PM
marcar1993
Captain

Thanks, yeah today its been raining and when I go around corners, it POURS in through the heater vents. I've gotta check this out before I have no floor.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:21 PM
BKCowGod
Professional

hmmm, that may be more than just the a/c drain - it should only drip a bit of water when it's working hard. Sounds like you have water pooling in your cowl area.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:05 PM
marcar1993
Captain

Ok, I found it. Is it supposed to be tucked between the heat shield and the firewall? I untucked it and it had a nice steady flow for a few minutes. No more dripping since then, gotta wait to use it again to see.
Is there any common place or reason for water pooling in the cowl? Cowl drains clogged (The ones behind the fenders)?

Old 10-09-2013, 03:47 PM
DirtyHarry83
Amateur

Marcar 1993

Yes, I had major water issues with my cowl drains not working.
I did a lot more work to clean them out than I probably should have.

I removed the cowl (not sure that's avoidable. Pretty easy to remove.)
I pulled my fenders (A bit more of a science project to start at 3pm with the sun going down at 6...)

I am glad I did pull my fenders because the amount of crap that built up, did not seem to have a way out. I could be mistaken but it just seemed as if I cleaned this out it would just sit inside the fender and would rot it to nothing.

The tool I used to clean out the cowl drains (gutters.) was a dryer lint brush that I picked up from Harbor freight for a totally different purpose (to clean my dryer haha).

It worked well, now I never see water inside my truck except where some idiot didn't do a good job replacing my windshield. Another headache for another day.

Good luck with your project.

Quick Reply: A/C Drain, where is it?