1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1995 3.9 V6 To 1995 5.2 V8 Swap question

Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 PM
mtthws
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 3.9 V6 To 1995 5.2 V8 Swap question

I have a pair of 1995 Dakotas.Extended cab SLT. Both have automatic transmissions. One has the V6 and the other has the 5.2 V8. I lost the transmission in the V8 truck plus it has a lot of other problems. I want to swap the V8 into the V6 truck since it's transmission is fresh. In the FAQ#2 section it mentions on some years when you use the V6 transmission and the V8 engine a small part of the block will have to be ground away near the starter for it to go together. I am wondering if I am going to have to grind on my engine block or not. If anyone knows I would appreciate the answer. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2014, 08:04 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

nope nothing needs ground away/ direct swap

Old 04-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes it will be a direct swap, but you will need to include all wiring and pcm for the V8, also it sounds like you want to put the V6 transmission behind a V8. The V8 will kill the V6 transmission, they are weaker, think of it Dodge didn't put it behind the V8 for a reason. It may last a while with a light foot, but one day it will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere and you will have to swap in a V8 transmission, why do it twice.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:36 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Yes it will be a direct swap, but you will need to include all wiring and pcm for the V8, also it sounds like you want to put the V6 transmission behind a V8. The V8 will kill the V6 transmission, they are weaker, think of it Dodge didn't put it behind the V8 for a reason. It may last a while with a light foot, but one day it will leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere and you will have to swap in a V8 transmission, why do it twice.
not necessarily they used the A 500 behind both the 6 and the 8 over the years, but if you have a good 518 it will directly swap in (driveshaft too) only differences are the inspection plate and the dipstick/tube and is a heavier duty unit... oh and the torque converter has to stay with its trans as the stub and splines are different. If both pans look the same they are both the same model trans regardless of V6 or V8

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by volaredon
not necessarily they used the A 500 behind both the 6 and the 8 over the years, but if you have a good 518 it will directly swap in (driveshaft too) only differences are the inspection plate and the dipstick/tube and is a heavier duty unit... oh and the torque converter has to stay with its trans as the stub and splines are different. If both pans look the same they are both the same model trans regardless of V6 or V8
Yes your correct if his truck was an early year prior than 1992 with the old LA engines yes that is true, this was when HP on the largest V8's was under 100, which modern lawn mowers produce more HP. That is why it doesn't matter for those years you can't kill a transmission with over power back then.

But the OP has a Magnum which started in 1992 so in this case you are incorrect, because they came with different transmissions for the V6 and V8 ever since (only a few Ram V6's came with a V8's transmissions).

So stick with what I said DON"T put the V6 transmission behind the V8.

Last edited by Crazy4x4RT; 04-29-2014 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Crazy4x4RT
Yes your correct if his truck was an early year prior than 1992 with the old LA engines yes that is true, this was when HP on the largest V8's was under 100, which modern lawn mowers produce more HP. That is why it doesn't matter for those years you can't kill a transmission with over power back then.

But the OP has a Magnum which started in 1992 so in this case you are incorrect, because they came with different transmissions for the V6 and V8 ever since (only a few Ram V6's came with a V8's transmissions).

So stick with what I said DON"T put the V6 transmission behind the V8.
I've seen several 90s Durango's and Grand Cherokees (4WD which is harder on trans than a 2WD) with the "44 RE" with 318 Magnums. the 44 RE is basically the same as that "6 cylinder transmission that he has now... yeah maybe it has 1 more disc in 1 clutch pack but that isn't enough to make it "stronger" Yes Ideally he'd want a 518 which became the 46 RH and it would directly swap in (I have swapped trannys both ways depending on what's been available when I've need one) but that "6 cylinder tranny" would certainly work... not like it would grenade upon startup behind a V8
and the early 90s V8s were certainly more than "100 HP"

Old 04-30-2014, 10:52 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame

Originally Posted by volaredon
I've seen several 90s Durango's and Grand Cherokees (4WD which is harder on trans than a 2WD) with the "44 RE" with 318 Magnums. the 44 RE is basically the same as that "6 cylinder transmission that he has now... yeah maybe it has 1 more disc in 1 clutch pack but that isn't enough to make it "stronger" Yes Ideally he'd want a 518 which became the 46 RH and it would directly swap in (I have swapped trannys both ways depending on what's been available when I've need one) but that "6 cylinder tranny" would certainly work... not like it would grenade upon startup behind a V8
and the early 90s V8s were certainly more than "100 HP"
44RE's didn't come out till later on 97-up, with OBDII and it is fully electronically controlled by a PCM. It is irrelevant for this post, because the OP has two 1995 trucks.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:27 PM
mtthws
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V8 / V6 Transmission Swap

Thanks for the advice. I found out my truck had a 518 so I had it rebuilt. I had bought a parts truck and thought I could buy some time with the V6 transmission but I really don't need to be stranded and have to go through a transmission change again. I also thought my transmission might have been the V6 transmission to begin with because of the drive shaft lengths being the same as the V6 truck I bought. Once I had the transmissions side by side I knew they were different. The transmission shop told me mine was a 518. So I keep learning. Thanks again.

Last edited by mtthws; 05-04-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 3.9 V6 To 1995 5.2 V8 Swap question