1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Heavy Duty Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 08:03 PM
wjohn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RalphP
Dang, I LIKE those wheels!

I'd almost want to change to them ... if I could find some!

RwP
I like them a lot, too especially since I think they're heavy-duty enough. Looks-wise, they're probably about the best of the '87-'90 factory wheels. The only thing I don't like is the chintzy fake socket head cap screws. If you look closely you can see that one broke off (they're plastic).

Keep looking through the junk yards. I originally checked about 3 or 4 yards trying to find a decent set of steels and happened to noticed these. This place didn't have them pulled and listed in inventory - they were still on a truck. They're not pristine but will be just fine. I can't have wheels that look too shiny with this old truck anyhow! Now I'll have to keep my eye out for 3 more center caps.

Originally Posted by RDuck
And they are unbelievably quiet on the road.
Off road they shine in the mud like a Super Swamper yet they are also a winter rated snow tire.
So they can be run year round with comfort of knowing you have great tires.
Although they are not a true winter only tire. But I can push through very deep drifts where a winter tire would leave me stuck.
I'll admit I'm the type of guy that usually buys 80,000 mile highway or A/W Michelins. We don't normally get much snow out here but once every few years there's a decent snow. At least I'll have time to stew over tire choices while I get the other work done on the truck.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:53 PM
wjohn
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I just replaced the timing chain, main seal, and oil pump and am about to put the oil pan back on. I threw one of the wheels on and I really like the way they look. The tires are General Grabber HTS 235/75R15s. They're the only low rolling resistance tires I could find in that size and for all four were about $200 cheaper than the non-LRR Michelin LTX tires. I'm also glad that the awkward offset with those cheap wheels is gone.

I got 21.5 MPG out of my first tank of very mixed city/highway/dirt road driving before I did any work to it... I'll be curious to see if I can bump that up a little since I did have a slightly dragging caliper. I guess the 4WD isn't going to hurt my fuel economy too much.

And yes, I have a jack under the truck... it's not lifted. Aren't those little front axles so cute? I need to get onto finding three more black center caps when I finish all of the other work.

Quick Reply: Heavy Duty Wheels?