1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'94 Dakota Auto Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:20 PM
TomD05Ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '94 Dakota Auto Transmission Issue

I am having an issue with my '94 Dakota, 3.9L, Extended Cab with 104000 miles on it. I poked around the forum and saw this thread referenced in another:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nsmission.html

Basically, what's happening is that it revs before engaging first (or reverse) when at a stop. Unlike in the above thread there is no slipping once engaged. All shifts seem to be otherwise fine, but they do seem more firm than they were prior to this behavior. It occasionally does this when rolling and going from foot-off-the-pedal to accelerating. Also, it does feel almost as though it is downshifting (or grabbing) when coasting, say decelerating from highway speed getting off an exit - it feels like you're tapping the brakes and you can see the tac needle advance. This just recently started happening and has gotten particularly bad today. I replaced fluid and filter with synthetic about 30000 miles ago, and adjusted the bands at the time.

I recently checked the fluid and it was good, except I checked it in Park and not in Neutral. I will do that tonight.

Anyhow, I've had trouble finding info on those specific symptoms. Like I said once driving the transmission works as expected, except for the deceleration behavior. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 05-23-2014, 03:36 PM
bctom
Amateur
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a '92 with what appears to be lockup shudder after sitting unused for a number of years. There is a lot of info out there on these transmissions.

If the bands are adjusted properly, and you've got the correct fluid (Mopar ATF4 nothing else), and the throttle valve (TV cable) is adjusted properly, then I would say the pump pressure is low.
There are a number of test ports on these transmission. Try ebay for a gauge 35-40$US.
In the FAQ #1 there are some factory service manuals available. The '95 one covers the same transmission as in your truck. There is a large section on the transmission with diagnostic info.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:30 PM
kahanabob
Captain

i would flush it then add some tranny snake oil like Lucas to it.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:39 AM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TomD05Ram
I am having an issue with my '94 Dakota, 3.9L, Extended Cab with 104000 miles on it. I poked around the forum and saw this thread referenced in another:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...nsmission.html

Basically, what's happening is that it revs before engaging first (or reverse) when at a stop. Unlike in the above thread there is no slipping once engaged. All shifts seem to be otherwise fine, but they do seem more firm than they were prior to this behavior. It occasionally does this when rolling and going from foot-off-the-pedal to accelerating. Also, it does feel almost as though it is downshifting (or grabbing) when coasting, say decelerating from highway speed getting off an exit - it feels like you're tapping the brakes and you can see the tac needle advance. This just recently started happening and has gotten particularly bad today. I replaced fluid and filter with synthetic about 30000 miles ago, and adjusted the bands at the time.

I recently checked the fluid and it was good, except I checked it in Park and not in Neutral. I will do that tonight.

Anyhow, I've had trouble finding info on those specific symptoms. Like I said once driving the transmission works as expected, except for the deceleration behavior. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Make sure when you check it in neutral its not cold, it wouldnt be off much but wont be perfectly accurate. In Park if showing full and not way way over, it prolly low a few quarts (dont ask but been there LOL)

Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 AM
SteveDes
Rookie

The pump doesn't turn in park so it could be low. As 92dakotaclub said make sure you drive it or idle in neutral and warm the fluid up before you check it in neutral.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:04 PM
TomD05Ram

All,

Thanks for the replies. I checked the fluid while hot in neutral and it was a little low. I topped it off, but that didn't change the behavior. I am going to check the TV cable next. After that I may do a fluid and filter change.

May be a little while until I get to it. I have to do some routine maintenance stuff to my Ram in preparation for a trip. Thanks again, and I'll post after I check the TV cable.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:18 PM
kahanabob
Captain

Originally Posted by TomD05Ram
All,

After that I may do a fluid and filter change.
go beyond that flush it

Old 05-28-2014, 10:05 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Is this problem only when the vehicle has sit, maybe overnight or all the time?

Old 07-15-2014, 04:50 PM
TomD05Ram

Sorry for the month-and-a-half late reply...

Not from sitting for a long period. It actually behaves best when first started cold, but once warm, which doesn't take long at all, it continues to be slow engaging - either from a dead stop, or decelerating, like foot-off-the-gas and slowing down to make a turn. Shifts fine once moving and on all up-shifts.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 PM
LIZZRD
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

after sitting a bit, warm, drain out a pint and add something like the Lucas or Tranny Honey... it things are not better in a couple days, i would seek out a flush/fluid/filter/adjustment service.

Quick Reply: '94 Dakota Auto Transmission Issue