1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dakota Rear leaf spring shakle...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 05:46 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dakota Rear leaf spring shakle...

Hi Everyone,

I could really use some help finding these. I need a Left and Right rear leaf spring shakle mounts for my 1995 Dodge Dakota 4x4 3.9L V6. These mounts would be the ones located closest to the rear bumper. My current ones have rusted out. My mechanic contacted Carquest and they do not have any nor could they find anyone who had them. I'm hoping to be able to find a website selling them that also has pictures so I know I'll be getting the exact parts I need.

If anyone can help me with this, that would be great! Thanks!
-Moparman1995

Last edited by MoparMan1995; 11-05-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 08:15 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If you refer to the picture at http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ssembly=591561 - you're looking for the part called out at #9 for the 1600# springs, or at #13 for the 1800# springs, right?

The dealer should have them, but you can also take the part #s off that page and Google for them if you want them somewhere else.

RwP

Old 11-07-2014, 09:00 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

These are what you're looking for. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...&parttype=7484

edit: Picture and better price here... http://www.stengelbros.net/product.a...q8YaAoWJ8P8HAQ

Last edited by tbugden; 11-07-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:39 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

Finally I was able to log on. Sorry I didn't get to reply sooner guys, had issues with my account on here for the last few days.

Some aspects of my post were a little out of whack. My mechanic had written down "shakles" when it's shackles. And also "mounts" when they are referred to as "hangers" as in rear leaf spring shackle hangers. I found them online finally after searching for days, even looked into what you two had told me but those were dead-ends. I finally found the exact replacements: http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/p...r-1886-81.html. I plan on buying the entire kit though with 2 hangers, 2 shackles and all the bolts etc. needed. I might as well since the driver's side hanger is not far behind breaking and new shackles will work better than the 20 year old ones that are on there.

Thanks guys for the help and a special thanks to Crazy4x4 for the account help.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm glad it all worked out. I would have posted that same website If I knew that was what you're looking for. It is a trusted site.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:49 PM
moe7404
Record Breaker

and dont forget to use anti-sieze compound on ALL the threads on the bottom of the truck. that way it will come apart after 80,000 miles, in the snow.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:14 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1995
Finally I was able to log on. Sorry I didn't get to reply sooner guys, had issues with my account on here for the last few days.

Some aspects of my post were a little out of whack. My mechanic had written down "shakles" when it's shackles. And also "mounts" when they are referred to as "hangers" as in rear leaf spring shackle hangers. I found them online finally after searching for days, even looked into what you two had told me but those were dead-ends. I finally found the exact replacements: http://www.autoandtrucksprings.com/p...r-1886-81.html. I plan on buying the entire kit though with 2 hangers, 2 shackles and all the bolts etc. needed. I might as well since the driver's side hanger is not far behind breaking and new shackles will work better than the 20 year old ones that are on there.

Thanks guys for the help and a special thanks to Crazy4x4 for the account help.
Yah, that's the part I pointed out in the call outs.

(One reason I linked the pic - if you were asking about something besides what I was thinking you were, at least you could go "Oh, that's part # 94/QZ4 on the call out!" *grins* )

RwP

Old 11-10-2014, 09:26 PM
tbugden
All Star

Yeah, if you had the right terminology I could have pointed you right to those. If the hangers are rotted out I'd suspect that the rear half of the frame is pretty well **** at this point.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 PM
MoparMan1995
Professional

@Crazy4x4RT Thanks, me too!

@moe7404 I assume you're being sarcastic? Why would I want it to come apart in the snow? Unless you're trying to say that it would need replacing by then and the anti-seize would help it be taken apart even in the coldest temperatures.

@RalphP I realize now that it's the same part but it looks a lot different in the schematic you pointed me to which is what threw me off at first. In schematic it's a triangle shaped hanger with 3 holes, actual one for my truck is 6 holes and is more of a circular shape.

@tbugden Yeah, sorry, I was only using the terminology that my mechanic wrote on the piece of paper for me. Actually the rear of the frame has no holes as of yet, where there is some holes starting to rust is on the bottom of the boxed-in section on the front of the frame behind the front wheels. It's probably from a combination of road salt/sand mix hitting there from the tires and also being on various lifts in the past (pressure being applied and released dozens of times there over the years). Even some stress cracks in those spots. BUT in the C-frame section isn't too bad, I usually try to clean out the bottom of the C section in the spring and whenever possible so salt etc. doesn't sit there and rust more.

For an update, I ordered the entire kit earlier tonight, $239 (little pricy) but should be well worth it!

Old 11-13-2014, 08:35 AM
tbugden
All Star

It's so weird how the same trucks rust in completely different places. My frame rails rotted out terribly in the rear, though the hangers were still more or less sound. Not good, mind you...but considering the condition of the rest of the frame, not that bad. The front half was pretty much fine, except for the upper control arm mounts...those were real bad.

Good that you're trying to keep it clean. It's almost 20 now, maybe you can get another decade out of it!

Quick Reply: Dakota Rear leaf spring shakle...