1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

93 intermediate steering shaft help

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 05:01 PM
jdyal2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 intermediate steering shaft help

I am fixing up a '93 2wd extended cab with a 3.9. Lots of slop in the steering wheel. I'm replacing the worn tie rod ends, ball joints, control arm and sway bar bushings, etc....but I have discovered the u joint in the lower intermediate steering shaft is really loose. I am having trouble finding an affordable replacement. I think factorychryslerparts does have it, but they want about $200 just for the lower section. The upper section would be another $230.
I'm fixing this truck up for heavy duty use and want a solid steering system, don't want to install a half worn out intermediate shaft from the junk yard.
Any ideas?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:20 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'd suggest checking into what Flaming River has for possible replacements for the U-joints and maybe even the couplers and shaft. No, I don't know the sizes off hand for a Dakota. I have them noted for my Cougar, since the rag joint is NLA on it.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005

RwP

Old 07-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Thomas_kota
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Id love to know how you make out, since my steering ujoints are getting kind of iffy.

Quick Reply: 93 intermediate steering shaft help