1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

tips for rebuilding LA 318

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM
jake122288
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips for rebuilding LA 318

So since im tearing into the good ole 318 anyway (Pre magnum), and its had a rough life im going to just rebuild it. This will be my first rebuild on my own. (done it before many times with a buddy but not 100% on some of the fine details)

First off i Is there anything to do to increase my power/torque that isnt going to break the bank?

Has anyone had any experience with Enginetech brand parts? I found a decent priced master kit with enginetech parts and just wondering if they are a decent brand to go with? The kit has new pistions, moly rings, cam lifters cam, crank, and rod bearings, full gasket set, timing set, and oil pump.

How are cam bearings removed/installed, or is this a task better left to the machine shop?

Now as far as assembling the engine. What should i use for assembly lube and on what? Ive read alot of different forums and people have said many different things so im kinda lost here. Like someone said something about need a specific cam assembly lube. So some more insight on what to use and where would be awesome.

Finally what about the break in period and specific break in oil/additives.

Any tips pointers and information is appreciated. Im going to start pulling the engine tomorrow and start the tear down. That away i can get it tore down and into the machine shop, so i can get the sizing details before ordering my kit.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

This can be a can of worms - I bet if you ask 100 people, you'll probably get at least 200 replies *grins*

However, before you tackled it any, I'd look hard at one of the good books on rebuilding the LA motor family. I own this one
How to Rebuild the Small-Block Mopar: William Burt: 9781613250587: Amazon.com: Books How to Rebuild the Small-Block Mopar: William Burt: 9781613250587: Amazon.com: Books
and find it informative.

However, there will be some details that will vary.

What !I! would consider is, pick up a 1992 Magnum 5.2 and the ECU for it, and go ahead and drop a Magnum in its place. (You can pick up to a 1996, but the 1992/1993 had bigger exhaust manifolds, breathed a bit better.)

For some of the rest of it - yah, I'd let the machine shop install new cam bearings and make sure they're bored properly.

Assembly lube - what I used for a 302W build back in the 70's *grins* was a combination of STP and Moly Kote. YMMV, natch, but for most of it, there are dedicated engine build lubes that would be the safe bet.

RwP

Quick Reply: tips for rebuilding LA 318