1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

3.9 to 5.2 Swap - Torsion Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Alacoque
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3.9 to 5.2 Swap - Torsion Bar Question

I've read that the V8 Dakota comes with beefier torsion bars. I'm trying to swap my V6 bars for V8 bars, but I've been told you need to take the A arms off and have the bars pushed out with a big hydraulic press. This seems like way too much work for what it's worth.

Can I say "screw it" and just keep my V6 bars? Are they going to be strong enough, or is the bar swap a necessary thing?

Thanks in advance!
Nathan

Old 08-03-2015, 11:42 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '89 Dakota had a 3.9 V6 which I replaced with a 5.2 Magnum motor. I was never able to find an exact weight for either of those motors but I estimated that the difference is maybe 150 pounds, assuming about 400 for the V6 and 550 for the V8. In my case the difference is even less since the Magnum V8 uses an aluminum manifold and does not have Air Conditioning or a cooling fan on the motor. My torsion bars don't seem to have sagged at all with the new motor, but I can't speak for ride, as I haven't gotten it on the road yet.

I'd suggest you consider waiting to see if you actually need more spring. The V8 isn't that much heavier than the LA V6 and if you can lighten the front end by eliminating or relocating a few things (battery to the rear maybe?), you may find the original springs work just fine, or that a heavier sway bar is all you need. Just my 2 cents.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Alacoque
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, thanks Ragged. I'll stick with the v6 bars for now and see what happens. I'm thinking that chances are I'll be fine.

Quick Reply: 3.9 to 5.2 Swap - Torsion Bar Question