1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1989 Dodge Dakota 2.5l won't start.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:17 AM
holygoat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Dodge Dakota 2.5l won't start.

Hello I own a 1989 dodge Dakota with the 4cyl 2.5L motor. About 2 weeks ago on my way to work I noticed a loss of power in 5th and 4th. I drove home and parked the truck. The next day I took it for a test drive and was having total loss of power in all gears, the truck would lurch, stall, and have a hard time starting up (almost as if it was having a seizure). After sitting for a little while truck would start and run fine but eventually symptoms reappear.

This appeared to be a fuel issue to me so I went and replaced fuel pump and fuel filter (both of which had been replaced once before in the last 3 years) I also bought a new tps and replaced that as well as a new air filter.

Now the truck will crank but not start. It seems to start sporadically run for a few minutes and then stall.

I am wondering if anyone has experienced any similar problems?

I have ordered a new distributor, wires and ignition coil as well as new plugs which will be arriving next week. (While inspecting the distributor I noticed corrosion inside the unitI) I will be running a compression test in the morning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by holygoat; 05-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:51 AM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

First I would stop buying parts until you know what is wrong. Read the FAQ section and check for codes.

Old 05-27-2016, 01:25 PM
holygoat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to figure out how to read codes with out a code reader. And it threw code 11 which appears to be something bad with the hall effect. And considering that the interruptor inside the distributor was corroded and free moving I believe this is the problem.

I will update once I install the new distributor that will be arriving next week.

Old 05-27-2016, 02:20 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

This is what the FAQ code page says is a code 11** Timing belt skipped 1 tooth or more from initial learned value, Intermittent loss of either camshaft or crankshaft position sensor, No crank reference signal detected during engine cranking
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...-96-codes.html

Before you spend any more money on parts check your timing.

Last edited by onemore94dak; 05-27-2016 at 02:25 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1989 Dodge Dakota 2.5l won't start.