1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

1992 Owner Manual

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 08:05 PM
Garyshootz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Owner Manual

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and need some information. Generally, I need to find an Owner's Manual for my truck. Specifically, I need to know how the Overdrive works. Mine doesn't. I push the overdrive switch, but nothing happens. Is this a switch that is only on when it is pushed, causing something to happen downstream, or is it supposed to click on and stay on?

Old 06-14-2016, 08:41 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

You can get an owners manual on Ebay. You should also get the Factory Service manual also on ebay. On my 94 the OD is always on. It's basically 4th gear. The switch when pressed turns it off. I use that when I don't want it to go into 4th gear or to make it down shift while going up a hill.

Old 06-14-2016, 09:02 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garyshootz
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and need some information. Generally, I need to find an Owner's Manual for my truck. Specifically, I need to know how the Overdrive works. Mine doesn't. I push the overdrive switch, but nothing happens. Is this a switch that is only on when it is pushed, causing something to happen downstream, or is it supposed to click on and stay on?
The overdrive and lockup solenoids are inside your transmissions valve body. It's the 3 pin connector on your transmission. The center pin is the 12v and the outer pins are the ground for the lockup solenoid and the overdrive solenoid. So either you've lost the ground to the connector or the Solenoid has gone bad inside the valve body.

Old 06-15-2016, 12:17 AM
Garyshootz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, guys. I'll have to check that out.

Old 06-15-2016, 06:57 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Garyshootz
Thanks, guys. I'll have to check that out.
Btw the FAQ has the wiring diagrams for the 90...should be pretty close for the 92 in regards to the transmission. On the 90, I believe the overdrive switch goes to the sbec computer and the computer controls the ground to the solenoid. I doubt the computer is bad for just that one solenoid so you likely have a bad wire connection somewhere either at the switch or from the computer to solenoid. Or again the Solenoid itself has gone bad.

Quick Reply: 1992 Owner Manual