1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Tie Rod Ends

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 PM
93Dak3.9
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tie Rod Ends

I'm looking to get some tie rod ends but I see both inner and outer tie rod ends and they look the same. which ones do I get?
And also how would I tighten up my steering a bit? truck seems loose although the wheel responds quickly it has no weight on it so to say.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:40 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

You get both, a total of four, two inners and two outers.

Or, you crawl underneath, and you discover which one or ones are loose.

To tighten it up, on a 4x4 (with the recirculating ball gear box), you can adjust it some; too much and it'll lock it up, though.

I'd suggest FIRST picking up a copy of the factory service manual so you have all the specs and info there. Check the FAQs here; there's a PDF copy you can download there.

RwP

Old 03-11-2017, 10:43 PM
elementaltoad
Amateur

Tie rods and ball joints will definitely help tighten up the steering again. You will need both inner and outer tie rods. Get two inner, and two outer. They should have a different part number. Rockauto.com is a good resource to check part numbers and prices for both.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 PM
RalphP
Champion

If you want to be complete, you can also get the adjusting sleeves from RockAuto.

Pick up a pair of those also, and adjust the new ones (threading both ends in equally!) until the new ones are the same distance stud to stud as the old ones; this will get it close enough you can carefully (CAREFULLY!!!) drive it to the shop to get it aligned.

Or until you can align the toe yourself, but if you're asking "Are they different?" then I'd advise letting a pro align instead. This isn't an insult; I've been doing cars since the 70's, and !I! won't do my own alignments! They're kind of critical for safe driving ....

RwP

Old 03-12-2017, 10:07 PM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

check idler and pitman arms, that's where the slop was in mine. with all wheels on ground, look under while someone rocks steering wheel back n forth a couple inches each direction and watch for play in the joints.

Old 03-19-2017, 03:20 PM
93Dak3.9
Amateur

I checked my tie rod ends and they are all covered in old grease and junk and they look worn. Will be replacing inners and outers soon in that case.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:13 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker

look worn just because they are covered in grease? I guess that makes 95% of all vehicles on the road have bad tie rod ends... did you feel any play in them? (and no I do not mean swiveling about the ball within the socket/ they are supposed to do that)
Get someone in the truck and slow/steady rock the steering wheel back n forth about 2" either way while someone else watches the tie rod ends where they attach at the ends and see if you notice any play, with wheels on the ground. Dont worry you wont have to actually get under the truck yourself, crouch down by the bumper and you'll see it if there's any play.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:09 PM
93Dak3.9
Amateur

So I rocked the steering wheel and the left side outer tie rod has quite a bit of side to side play and the right not as much. If I'm gonna change the outers shouldn't I do the inners as well?

Old 03-20-2017, 10:46 PM
RalphP
Champion

4x4s, I'd consider it.

I've already mentioned it - you can buy the adjuster sleeves, and make the new set match the old set stud for stud so that the alignment's close before you get started driving to the front end shop. Just remember, turn BOTH sides in just as much so the sleeve is centered.

RwP

Old 03-21-2017, 07:15 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker

ok now were gettin somewhere. you can see the play in them. so yeah that's bad....
I don't replace them just for a torn boot or being full of grease buildup. But yeah/ if you change one then you should change em all because it would be crazy to do one, have aligned. 3 months later do another, pay for another alignment. 4 months later, repeat. If a 4X4 check the idler and pitman arms the same way as you checked the tie rods, (2wd do not have these parts, having a rack n pinion)
use only MOOG parts, and check Rockauto, Do not be afraid of their Wholesale closeouts, if they ofer them for what you need. they are still the brand advertised, parts that had been reboxed for a particular parts chain and "bought back" from the warehouse when a store closes or is "bought out". but much cheaper for you.