1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Need some advice

Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

No, they don't have an outer shell.

That's why you leave the current shells in there.

Here's the installation instructions: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sion/17019.pdf

RwP

Old 03-20-2017, 04:54 PM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

The uppers come with new shells. I used them. Honestly, I dont know how you could get the shaft out without driving the shells out. The new shells were snug, but I would have liked to have seen them tighter. If you are worried about them, you could put a few spots of weld on the shell to the control arm, then slide the poly insert and inner sleeve in.

The lowers do not have shells, period. The arm is the shell. You clean out the old rubber, and slide the new poly bushing in the control arm. The lower bushing is in 2 pieces and they slide together.

In the second link I sent you, the first picture, you can see what Im talking about. Read that link, lots of good information in there.

As far as mine riding better, it only had about 70,000 miles when I did this. In addition, I replaced all tie rods, idler, pitman, ball joints, swaybar bushings, etc. It was some tighter but not a lot, But I believe that is because mine wasnt that bad to begin with.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:42 PM
dakota1996
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
The uppers come with new shells. I used them. Honestly, I dont know how you could get the shaft out without driving the shells out. The new shells were snug, but I would have liked to have seen them tighter. If you are worried about them, you could put a few spots of weld on the shell to the control arm, then slide the poly insert and inner sleeve in.

The lowers do not have shells, period. The arm is the shell. You clean out the old rubber, and slide the new poly bushing in the control arm. The lower bushing is in 2 pieces and they slide together.

In the second link I sent you, the first picture, you can see what Im talking about. Read that link, lots of good information in there.

As far as mine riding better, it only had about 70,000 miles when I did this. In addition, I replaced all tie rods, idler, pitman, ball joints, swaybar bushings, etc. It was some tighter but not a lot, But I believe that is because mine wasnt that bad to begin with.
Alright that takes care of some confusion. I have ordered all the bushings for the front and rear of the truck now and on there way. This truck is becoming a huge project with all I'm doing right now so stay tuned for when I update everything going on!

Search this Thread