1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota code 27

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 11:07 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snotnosedpunk
I still have not resolved this issue, or had time to throw new fuel lines at the problem. I do have new information that makes me think the fuel lines would be a waste of time.
I noticed that when I shift into neutral sometimes my rpms will dip down to 200-400, and then it seems like the engine will rev by itself. Then I have a normal idle again.

Should I check IAC? Crank sensor? Fuel pump? Based on some of the searching I've done online I'm thinking IAC. How would I test it? would I be wasting my time checking it?

Any of those sound like a possibility, but with the rev changes, I'd include the MAP sensor as possibility. I'd probably start by pulling the throttle body, cleaning it and cleaning the IAC & port. There's a good thread on the forum about cleaning the IAC, somewhere... I can't seem to find it.

Is your fuel pressure still low, at 28 lbs? As onemore94 was alluding to, those codes suggest injector issues are a possibility. With that low fuel pressure, could you have a leaky/stuck injector(s)?

Last edited by ragged89; 05-13-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:12 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

last time I had a 7 it was the injector driver within the computer. Change out the computer and you should be good. That year, it wont matter if it comes from an auto or a stick. and 2 or 4wd also wont matter.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:06 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
Any of those sound like a possibility, but with the rev changes, I'd include the MAP sensor as possibility. I'd probably start by pulling the throttle body, cleaning it and cleaning the IAC & port. There's a good thread on the forum about cleaning the IAC, somewhere... I can't seem to find it.

Is your fuel pressure still low, at 28 lbs? As onemore94 was alluding to, those codes suggest injector issues are a possibility. With that low fuel pressure, could you have a leaky/stuck injector(s)?
Ok I have a set of FMS 19# 4 hole injectors. I'll try those out. I had them on when I swapped the motor in. I have the 96 ram injectors on it right now.

Old 05-16-2017, 04:08 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie

Originally Posted by volaredon
last time I had a 7 it was the injector driver within the computer. Change out the computer and you should be good. That year, it wont matter if it comes from an auto or a stick. and 2 or 4wd also wont matter.
It's running on a new mopar performance pcm.

Old 07-07-2017, 03:27 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie

Time to update on this... I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it again. I cleaned the IAC. It had alot of carbon in it. After that there was a huge throttle response increase, but the code came back.
Next I changed the fuel pump. I was ok with throwing the fuel pump at it in order to change the floater sensor. My gas gauge works now! The code came back.
All 8 fuel injectors were tested, the wires to the pcm are good, and the ground is good. So I know I did my wiring right when I did the swap.
The fuel pressure regulator is where it was losing fuel pressure. I have a new one on now, and the rpms no longer dip when I shift to neutral. The code came back. I tested fuel pressure again. With key on engine off it goes to 20 psi and holds. when I shut it off and go back into Key on engine off it will go up to 36 psi. So it takes 2 turns of the key to fully pressurize the system? It is running just under 30 psi still.

Old 07-07-2017, 07:24 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't recall if I mentioned the possibility of an inline fuel filter? Anyway on some of these daks IDK which ones, there is an inline fuel filter on the frame rail somewhere near the front. I wouldn't hurt to change it out if you have one. I'm glad it is improving.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:51 AM
volaredon
Record Breaker
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

try a different computer, Its gotta be an injector driver within.

Old 07-08-2017, 12:15 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

As has been mentioned, check the inline fuel filter (on the frame, about the back of the cab, on the driver's side).

The 1993 should still have one; notes say that the fuel filter went away with the swap to the in-tank regulator in 1994.

Which also asks, have you checked your fuel pressure regulator?

But if you're losing pressure, I'd first make sure none of the injectors are hung open; then I'd check the regulator.

Also, how's your vacuum? The regulator uses engine vacuum to base it on (so the fuel pressure is constant against engine vacuum, not atmospheric pressure); you may have a bad vacuum house, although that would tend to keep pressure too high instead of too low.

RwP

Old 07-19-2017, 04:22 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie

Originally Posted by volaredon
try a different computer, Its gotta be an injector driver within.
Is there a way to test this? I just bought a NEW Mopar performance pcm. I just paid $330 for it, but I don't know what else to look at.
I changed the Map sensor, and took it for a drive, and the rpms dipped when I shifted to neutral. This time instead of recovering it died.

Old 07-19-2017, 04:27 PM
snotnosedpunk
Rookie

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I don't recall if I mentioned the possibility of an inline fuel filter? Anyway on some of these daks IDK which ones, there is an inline fuel filter on the frame rail somewhere near the front. I wouldn't hurt to change it out if you have one. I'm glad it is improving.
I changed the filter with the pump. It holds pressure after I changed the regulator, but like mentioned above the rpms dip when I shift to neutral, and have allways recovered. After I changed the Map sensor It did not recover. It died.
My problem is my wife just got a job, and I really need this truck now. Just don't know what to do at this point...