1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Manual transmission on a 5.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 11:51 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cs1984
I've been running an ax15 behind my 5.2 for about 2 1/2 years now with no problems. Shifts great and I to a 20' pontoon with it. It's important to run the proper gear lube though or it will ruin the synchros. Has to be a GL3 I believe. I use Pennzoil synchromesh a lot of other guys use redline mt-90 but they don't carry that at my local part store. I can't say anything about NV3500 I've never had one but the ax15 has been a better transmission than other vehicles I've had with Borg Warner T-5's and has held up better than my m5r2 in my Thunderbird which I have to rebuild at 125,000. the ax15 came out of a junkyard and I just painted it and did new seals.
It's good to hear that the AX15 has been so durable behind your 5.2. What year is your truck, and what tranny was in it originally?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:42 PM
cs1984
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ragged89
It's good to hear that the AX15 has been so durable behind your 5.2. What year is your truck, and what tranny was in it originally?
I think it was a 46re or whatever automatic they used behind the 5.2. I know a lot of guys on here don't like putting the ax15 behind a V8 but my experience has been really good with it. They're a lot easier to find than a nv3500 at least in my experience. Plus I got the whole setup​dirt cheap so if it didn't hold up I figured I wouldn't be out much.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:01 PM
ojcool

I think it was a 46re or whatever automatic they used behind the 5.2. I know a lot of guys on here don't like putting the ax15 behind a V8 but my experience has been really good with it. They're a lot easier to find than a nv3500 at least in my experience. Plus I got the whole setup​dirt cheap so if it didn't hold up I figured I wouldn't be out much.
I have a 91 Dakota that I have swapped a magnum 5.2 into. The trans is next on the list of things that needs to be replaced (250k miles 42RH) I was wondering how hard it would be to convert this vehicle to a manual trans. Did you do this conversion? How much work was it?

Does anyone know what donor vehicles can provide this trans and clutch assembly ect? Didn't they use this transmission in some of the Jeep Wranglers?

As far as capacity this vehicle is just a shop truck for my business, it may haul some little stuff but no major towing or anything. It's lowered too. (drop spindles and blocks) not slammed, but low..

Old 05-02-2017, 08:00 PM
cs1984
Rookie

Originally Posted by ojcool
I have a 91 Dakota that I have swapped a magnum 5.2 into. The trans is next on the list of things that needs to be replaced (250k miles 42RH) I was wondering how hard it would be to convert this vehicle to a manual trans. Did you do this conversion? How much work was it?

Does anyone know what donor vehicles can provide this trans and clutch assembly ect? Didn't they use this transmission in some of the Jeep Wranglers?

As far as capacity this vehicle is just a shop truck for my business, it may haul some little stuff but no major towing or anything. It's lowered too. (drop spindles and blocks) not slammed, but low..
The manual swap wasn't too bad. I did it with my little brother in a day. Someone else on this forum did a right up on a nv3500 swap. It's the same with the ax15. I made sure I had all the parts I would need ahead of time from reading the swap right up. Mine came with the T-case also attached. I'm not sure if the t cases are the same between manual and automatic but the 4x4 shifter is different for sure so you may want to look into that if you are planning on using your existing transfer case. Before pulling my auto trans I pulled the lines going to the radiator and set them in a 5 gallon bucket and started the truck. This drained most other the ATF and left the driveway fairly clean.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:25 PM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Someone else on this forum did a right up on a nv3500 swap.
I think you might be referring to mine. It's a 5.2 Magnum / NV3500 swap into a 1989 Dakota 4X4. 2WD would be similar from the output shaft forward.

Long thread, but the NV swap is in there. Find it here: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...le-dakota.html

Old 05-03-2017, 06:54 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Im in the middle of putting a nv3500 in my 87. Long story, short, Im still running the 3.9 engine.
This is just some of the differences I have seen so far.

1. The 87 use a 10&3/8 clutch.
2. The V8 dakotas used a 11in or a 11&7/8 clutch.
3. The flywheel on my 87 3.9 is smaller in dia, then the v8 flywheel
4. Clutches are not interchangeable due to a different bolt dia. pattern.

Now keep in mind, the 87 used a NV2500 which lead to being replaced with the AX15 so all of this may not apply.

In short, I could have used the stock flywheel with a 10&3/8 clutch, NV2500 transmission, but installed a 5.2 magnum and converted to a carb.

But, for those who are using a fuel injected motor, that needs the crank sensor notches for a V8, I would suspect may have a problem.

The V8 flywheel being larger in dia, is not going to work with the V6 Bellhousing. At least on my 87 it would not.

Your AX15 may be different. Just something to consider

Old 05-03-2017, 11:48 AM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep that in mind. The bell housing patterns on the should be the same since the 3.9 is a 5.2 with two fewer cylinders. Thanks for reminding me about the crank position sensor on the flywheel.

Old 05-03-2017, 01:49 PM
cs1984
Rookie

Originally Posted by soar_dude
I'll keep that in mind. The bell housing patterns on the should be the same since the 3.9 is a 5.2 with two fewer cylinders. Thanks for reminding me about the crank position sensor on the flywheel.
Crank position sensors are different from automatic to manual transmission

Old 05-03-2017, 01:57 PM
cs1984
Rookie

The manual swap wasn't too bad. I did it with my little brother in a day. Someone else on this forum did a right up on a nv3500 swap. It's the same with the ax15. I made sure I had all the parts I would need ahead of time from reading the swap right up. Mine came with the T-case also attached. I'm not sure if the t cases are the same between manual and automatic but the 4x4 shifter is different for sure so you may want to look into that if you are planning on using your existing transfer case. Before pulling my auto trans I pulled the lines going to the radiator and set them in a 5 gallon bucket and started the truck. This drained most other the ATF and left the driveway fairly clean.
Here is the Thread I was referring to. It's got everything you need to know
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota/191960-46rh-to-nv3500-swap-5-2l-4x4.html

Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 PM
soar_dude
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah automatics have a flex plate and manuals have a flywheel. Although there has been a change my daughter has decided she wants this done to her truck and she will now share the truck with me😒. So now I'm gonna need a engine bay wire harness and PCM. I've found a 5.2 magnum already so that is a start.😩