1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

I think it will clean up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:06 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

great results.
I have been looking for a polisher. I will check out the griot.

Last edited by primem; 05-20-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 11:07 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

great results.
I have been looking for a polisher. I will check out the griot.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:07 AM
Mockry633
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow looks like a new truck. Do you think it will work on my paint? Lol

Old 06-19-2017, 02:42 AM
elementaltoad
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mockry633
Wow looks like a new truck. Do you think it will work on my paint? Lol

I think that one might be in for...significantly more reconditioning!

Mine certainly could have been worse, I'm glad it was still salvageable, now I don't feel so bad putting all the money into getting the suspension and motor refreshed.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Mockry633

You should never feel bad about making something better. I slowly watch the paint on this go to hell. But that is changing in the next month or two

Old 06-23-2017, 02:42 AM
elementaltoad
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mockry633
You should never feel bad about making something better. I slowly watch the paint on this go to hell. But that is changing in the next month or two

Oh I agree, it's the main reason I've spent so much money on my 3rd gen. They are cheap throw away 80's cars, but I had it since high school. It will be getting nice pure white paint once I get the body fixed up and address the dents. On that one, all the money went under the hood first.

It looks stock, inside and outside, minus the new wheels. Until you get under the hood. AC is the last piece to put back in there.

Old 06-23-2017, 07:43 AM
93 ragtop
Record Breaker
Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

FWIW, IMO the LS series is one of the best upgrades for older vehicles. I considered one for my dakota, but was afraid it was going to get into more work then I cared to get involved in. Since you like the LS motors, you may find this site interesting!! lsdak.com

Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 AM
elementaltoad
Amateur

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
FWIW, IMO the LS series is one of the best upgrades for older vehicles. I considered one for my dakota, but was afraid it was going to get into more work then I cared to get involved in. Since you like the LS motors, you may find this site interesting!! lsdak.com
I would love to do a LS swapped Dakota, and I have a spare 5.3 LM7 sitting on an engine stand. But the more I think about it, just keeping the truck stockish and improving on things would leave me with a really nice original gen1 Dak. I've also had really good luck with Dodge small blocks, they seem to treat me well and last a long time. I also have a LA 318 powered Plymouth Valiant Scamp I am working on restoring.

My girlfriend also uses it as a DD now that I cleaned it up and made it pretty...she always does that. So it has to stay stock and reliable for now. I think I am going to do the kegger belly pan next, I'm certain mine is leaking badly. Then I will tackle the water pump, timing chain, redo the exhaust, and rebuild the front end. Along the way I am also going to pull the cab and bed to coat the frame, bed line, install a hitch receiver and reinforce the frame.

I want to turn it into a mini tow rig to pull project cars I find on CL back to the house.