1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

'91 ignition (key)switch cross-reference?

Old 05-15-2017, 04:54 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 ignition (key)switch cross-reference?

My keyswitch has gone bad, and as a new replacement is ~$200, I'm hoping to find one in the junkyard. Without another '91 in the yard, some cross-reference information would be very helpful.

The local dealer tells me, depending on what they refer to, that this one was used in the Dakota either 1990-1998 or "late 80s-95". But can anyone tell me which other models used it (if any)? That'd greatly increase my odds of finding one.

Thanks much.

Jonathan

Old 05-15-2017, 08:22 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm not sure what you mean by cross reference but if you get an ignition switch from a rig in the JY get the door locks too that way you can use the VIN from that rig to get the dealer to make you a new key and you will have a one key system still.

Old 05-15-2017, 09:23 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

By "cross-reference" I mean: What Chrysler models other than the Dakota use this switch? That is, if I can't find a compatible Dakota in the yard, might I find this switch in a Voyager, Ram, etc.?

About the keying: Understood, though I haven't determined whether it's cheaper to go the VIN+dealer route or just take the switch to a locksmith.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:16 PM
onemore94dak
Record Breaker
Received 131 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't remember the exact price but it was pretty reasonable to get a key made. Now that I think of it I had to have proof of ownership so You'd have to get the papers on whatever rig you took it off of.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:17 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm confused.

Are you needing the TUMBLERS, or the SWITCH?

That's two different items.

RockAuto lists either or both for under $200 - WAY under $200! - for the pair. Switch itself is under $30 ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...er+switch,4700 ) and the tumblers are under $32 ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...cylinder,10041 ). At worse, add a set of door locks ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...cylinder,10007 ) for under $16, then you may hit $200 after both are rekeyed to match the new ignition switch lock cylinder.

RwP

Old 05-16-2017, 09:00 AM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

Originally Posted by onemore94dak
I don't remember the exact price but it was pretty reasonable to get a key made. Now that I think of it I had to have proof of ownership so You'd have to get the papers on whatever rig you took it off of.
I think things are a lot more relaxed around here than that. When I spoke to the locksmith and explained the situation they indicated no such requirement.

Old 05-16-2017, 09:15 AM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

Originally Posted by RalphP
I'm confused.

Are you needing the TUMBLERS, or the SWITCH?

That's two different items.

RockAuto lists either or both for under $200 - WAY under $200! - for the pair. Switch itself is under $30 ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...er+switch,4700 ) and the tumblers are under $32 ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...cylinder,10041 ). At worse, add a set of door locks ( http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/d...cylinder,10007 ) for under $16, then you may hit $200 after both are rekeyed to match the new ignition switch lock cylinder.

RwP
I need both - the switch isn't making contact (it engages the starter about one out of every twenty tries) and the key and cylinder are so badly worn that I can remove the key when it's in the "on" position. If I can find a good one at the boneyard it'll cost $15, and the locksmith quoted $35 for the keying. That's assuming the donor truck doesn't have the keys in it, of course - sometimes they're there.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbloser
I need both - the switch isn't making contact (it engages the starter about one out of every twenty tries) and the key and cylinder are so badly worn that I can remove the key when it's in the "on" position. If I can find a good one at the boneyard it'll cost $15, and the locksmith quoted $35 for the keying. That's assuming the donor truck doesn't have the keys in it, of course - sometimes they're there.
So $40 for a used one, or $30 or so for a new one.

*shrugs*

Your choice.

RwP

Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 PM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RalphP
So $40 for a used one, or $30 or so for a new one.

*shrugs*

Your choice.

RwP
​​​​​​
To be fair Rock Auto hardly ships anything for less than $10. I'm always lured by the cheap prices but sometimes the shipping makes no sense...especially when items come from different distribution warehouses.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:12 PM
bigdumbloser
Rookie

Figured I should close the loop on this. I found the right switch on a '98 Dakota at the boneyard for $16 (that's Canadian, so about $12 USD). I didn't realize that the aftermarket around here had them, but they do - at $80 ($60 USD). The locksmith is charging me $35 ($27 USD) to key it. So all told, the junkyard+locksmith route is faster+cheaper than the other options.

As for Rock, I don't know what to make of those guys half the time. I've gotten good deals on Subaru parts (e.g. clutch) from them, but a couple of weeks ago I needed a carb kit for an old Carter 2bbl ('64 Rambler Classic I'm working on) and they listed it at $38 CAN (plus shipping?) vs. the $17 CAN I paid at a local shop.

Search this Thread