Stalling issue - DodgeForum.com


Notices

1st Gen Dakota '96 & Older Dakota's

Stalling issue

Reply
 
 
  #1  
Old 05-18-2017, 03:58 AM
Christopher Bevec
Christopher Bevec is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Default Stalling issue

Hi, I'm going to try to explain this the best I can. I have a 1994 Dodge Dakota. For some reason I will start it up and when I push the gas pedal in like half way (while it's in park) it will stall. Then if I have it running and try to put it into gear and go, it stalls. I've been told it might be the fuel filter but I'm really hoping it's not since it's in the gas talk. Please help!?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:34 AM
RalphP
RalphP is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northwest Louisiana
Posts: 1,349
Default

You can do some early work to test.

First, do a full tune up. It may be stalling because it's not running worth a flip; it may have a bad air filter; it may have a plugged cat; it may have a blocked fuel filter.

Second, locate a factory service manual (so you get the right numbers!)

Third, check the fuel pressure.

Fourth, check the cat to make sure it's not plugged.

RwP
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Christopher Bevec
Christopher Bevec is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
You can do some early work to test.

First, do a full tune up. It may be stalling because it's not running worth a flip; it may have a bad air filter; it may have a plugged cat; it may have a blocked fuel filter.

Second, locate a factory service manual (so you get the right numbers!)

Third, check the fuel pressure.

Fourth, check the cat to make sure it's not plugged.

RwP
I'm gonna try to run it without the air filter in it first to see how it goes and then I'm gonna try taking the hose off of the cat and see if it runs any better.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-18-2017, 07:03 AM
RalphP
RalphP is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Northwest Louisiana
Posts: 1,349
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Bevec View Post
I'm gonna try to run it without the air filter in it first to see how it goes and then I'm gonna try taking the hose off of the cat and see if it runs any better.
Check fuel pressure FIRST.

And - no, don't take that hose off the cat; it's not affecting back pressure.

It's there to inject extra air in to help the cat do its job.

Pull your O2 to check the cat.

(REPLACE IT AS SOON AS YOU VERIFY IT'S BROKE OR NOT!!! DON'T DRIVE WITH THAT HOLE IN YOUR EXHAUST SYSTEM!!!!)


And pick up the factory service manual; Ebay (as I type this) has some down around $35 or so; best $35 you'll ever spend. If that's too much, then join AllDataDIY.COM or EAutoRepair.COM (First is AllDATA's DIY, second is Mitchell 1's DIY site; both are subscription) for at least a year to get access to the same information.

Also, I almost forgot - have you done the "key dance" to pull any codes in the ECU?

RwP
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-18-2017, 10:07 AM
Christopher Bevec
Christopher Bevec is offline
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Check fuel pressure FIRST.

And - no, don't take that hose off the cat; it's not affecting back pressure.

It's there to inject extra air in to help the cat do its job.

Pull your O2 to check the cat.

(REPLACE IT AS SOON AS YOU VERIFY IT'S BROKE OR NOT!!! DON'T DRIVE WITH THAT HOLE IN YOUR EXHAUST SYSTEM!!!!)


And pick up the factory service manual; Ebay (as I type this) has some down around $35 or so; best $35 you'll ever spend. If that's too much, then join AllDataDIY.COM or EAutoRepair.COM (First is AllDATA's DIY, second is Mitchell 1's DIY site; both are subscription) for at least a year to get access to the same information.

Also, I almost forgot - have you done the "key dance" to pull any codes in the ECU?

RwP
no, I haven't done the "key dance" yet. I've done it before but i have to look up how to do it again
​again
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-20-2017, 01:57 AM
shadowthedakota's Avatar
shadowthedakota
shadowthedakota is offline
Record Breaker
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 1,927
Default

Fuel filter should be under the driver seat attached to the frame.
Reply With Quote
 
 
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Featured Sponsors

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:29 AM.