1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

Transmission Options

Old 05-18-2017, 10:34 AM
robertmee
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Options

Welp....My A500 that I spent money on getting all new parts put in, grenaded. Evidently the Pump failed and sent shrapnel all through the converter, valve body, etc....pan is full of metal. The guy that built it for me 2 years ago is MIA, so I guess I'm looking at options.

I don't think rebuilding this one again is an option...Want something with a warranty this time. I know PATC builds transmissions for Dodge, but who else?

I won't go with a 42rh this time...probably a 46rh to handle the 400HP. If I do that, will it fit the tunnel of the 90 vert? Will I need to shorten/lengthen the drive shaft? I seem to remember the lengths are a little different. AUTO is a requirement as it's my wife's truck.

I'm sick to my stomach...going to miss the big auto show that I busted my *** getting the truck ready for Not to mention the $$$ I'm going to have to spend.

Last edited by robertmee; 05-18-2017 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

If you do pick PATC, will you be coming down here to pick it up or having it shipped?

(They're about three miles from my house ... )

RwP

Old 05-19-2017, 12:55 AM
ragged89
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by robertmee
Welp....My A500 that I spent money on getting all new parts put in, grenaded. Evidently the Pump failed and sent shrapnel all through the converter, valve body, etc....pan is full of metal. The guy that built it for me 2 years ago is MIA, so I guess I'm looking at options.

I don't think rebuilding this one again is an option...Want something with a warranty this time. I know PATC builds transmissions for Dodge, but who else?

I won't go with a 42rh this time...probably a 46rh to handle the 400HP. If I do that, will it fit the tunnel of the 90 vert? Will I need to shorten/lengthen the drive shaft? I seem to remember the lengths are a little different. AUTO is a requirement as it's my wife's truck.

I'm sick to my stomach...going to miss the big auto show that I busted my *** getting the truck ready for Not to mention the $$$ I'm going to have to spend.
That really sucks. I think these kind of projects have about a 25% chance of a major setback.

You're plan to upgrade is the best revenge on fate. Do it stronger, better, meaner, leaner the second time around and act like you planned it that way

Old 05-20-2017, 01:18 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best bet would be to grab a low mileage 47rh out of a diesel or rebuild an auto trans with diesel trans parts. From what i was told by a Chrysler engineer is that the band's and clutches were only built to last 30k miles but I have yet to confirm it due to spending to much time on the 545rfe and the manual transmissions and rebuilding 4l60E's

Search this Thread