1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

No brake light on one side

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 11:00 PM
Alltheworst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No brake light on one side

Hey, my gf has a 96 dodge pickup, not sure of model but I doubt it matters much for this issue. She has a brake light out on the passenger side. Tail light and turn signal work. It uses a dual filament. I read the turn signal filament is the same as the brake light. So the bulb is fine. If that filament is working then obviously the wire is getting juice. What else could it be? A fuse or switch?

thanks

Old 05-19-2017, 09:47 AM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Alltheworst
Hey, my gf has a 96 dodge pickup, not sure of model but I doubt it matters much for this issue. She has a brake light out on the passenger side. Tail light and turn signal work. It uses a dual filament. I read the turn signal filament is the same as the brake light. So the bulb is fine. If that filament is working then obviously the wire is getting juice. What else could it be? A fuse or switch?

thanks
The brake light signal feeds into the multi function switch; the wire from the brake/turn signal on each side is fed from the switch.

That's the first place that the right and left change for brake lights; I'd be looking at that first.

Especially if the center high mount stop light (CHMSL) is working, as well as the driver's side brake light, and with both sides working for turn signals.

Edit: Just checked RockAuto (my go-to source); they have them from $75 down, and you'll have to know if she has intermittent ("pulse") wipers or not. You can find 5% discount coupons all over the place; for a MFS, that 5% will just about cover shipping/handling.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 05-19-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Price of switch at RockAuto on 19 May 2017.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:22 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the multifunction switch and the actual socket. I've seen to many sockets fail and cause numerous issues. I end up replacing the sockets with a gm replacement from autozone, but I've also seen bad contacts on the multifunction switch cause issues too