1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

first gen lift

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:06 PM
Slammed Peppercorn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first gen lift

i recently bought a 96 dakota 4x4, it already has a lift on it, but you can't fit anything wider than a street tire. It needs all new shocks and I've looked all over the place for a better lift kit and can't find anything. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could i convert the suspension over to a second gen and then go from there.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:01 PM
92DakotaClub
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slammed Peppercorn
i recently bought a 96 dakota 4x4, it already has a lift on it, but you can't fit anything wider than a street tire. It needs all new shocks and I've looked all over the place for a better lift kit and can't find anything. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, or could i convert the suspension over to a second gen and then go from there.

nope.. not lifted then.. ut depends what u mean by street tires ... 31's fit stock for the most part ...

goodluck..

not without severe welding and or frame and severe work... other posts on forums about swapping body to a second gen....

that said.. not much was ever built for the Dakota in general.. let alone first gen

they use to make a 4 inch left.. obsolete about 10 years ago? randoms places/wreckers had/have possibly.. (goodluck)

I ran 33X14.5's on my 92.. easily with just a few mods and a 2 inch body lift..

this was 2 inch body lift.. and 3.5 suspension.. modded torsion bar keys myself(stock modded) and shortened bump stops .. I went as high as I could and still get proper alignment..

was fairly simple to be honest.. then I had to modify the pinch weld and such in the fender but nothing big..

Stock 15 inch 99 Durango rims with 1.5 inch spacers , only rubing was full lock and that's ony due to the 3 inch lugs on the TSL Boggers Sidewall

Name:  20131222_132525.jpeg
Views: 2699
Size:  114.4 KB
Name:  20140217_111246.jpg
Views: 7978
Size:  172.8 KB

Last edited by 92DakotaClub; 05-19-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:00 AM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had time to,take measurements but the suspensions components between the second gens and the first gens are identical till about 2000 when they switched to rack and pinion steering. The exception being the wheel base on a second gen is wider but it's only noticable of you can see finer details. I'm currently in the process of putting a 1at gen body on a 2nd gen frame and so far besides cab mounts everything is similar down to rad support, bed, and where the engine mounts.