1st Gen Dakota Tech 1987 - 1996 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 1st Gen Dakota.

My bumper cracked in half towing my boat yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Cash68
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My bumper cracked in half towing my boat yesterday

I was using the bumper hitch. The launch was 'twisted', one side of the trailer went way deeper than the other, and the tongue of the trailer hit teh bumper and snapped it. Insane!

So I guess I'll buy a hitch, but where can I get a new bumper? All the ones on ebay are generic rear bumpers.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Puppet623
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your in the Bay area I have an extra 93 bumper I wont need. Its dented but functional.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:07 PM
tbugden
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Cash68
I was using the bumper hitch. The launch was 'twisted', one side of the trailer went way deeper than the other, and the tongue of the trailer hit teh bumper and snapped it. Insane!

So I guess I'll buy a hitch, but where can I get a new bumper? All the ones on ebay are generic rear bumpers.
Junkyard or do what I did because there is zero chance of finding a decent junkyard bumper near me. This requires drilling two holes, that's it, and if you trim the end of the stock bracket you can push the bumper in further and make it look like it could be OEM. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen...ar-bumper.html

Damn photobucket...I'll load the pictures to imgur or directly to this site, but for now here's a few pictures of my truck. I think the bumper looks pretty good, but to each their own. The bumper is pretty beefy but corrosion protection isn't great.I can see some rust starting because of a poorly sealed seam. For the price I don't care if I have to replace it every five years, because there's really no other options for me other than a custom fab.

edit: be aware that the hitch will require drilling into the bottom of the frame, at least my Curt did. You'll want some really good drill bits, I did it with **** bits and I just have to say that after that experience...carbide is worth it.

My bumper cracked in half towing my boat yesterday-qrkoegw.jpg

My bumper cracked in half towing my boat yesterday-e7a9xfp.jpg

My bumper cracked in half towing my boat yesterday-0gawa1z.jpg

Last edited by tbugden; 07-16-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:10 PM
RalphP
Champion
Received 368 Likes on 340 Posts

New? First, you locate The Doctor, or build a Time Machine.

Just kidding; try shermanparts.com for first shots.

Serviceable used? Well, car-part.com is one place.

You can also find them in boneyards.

RwP

Old 07-16-2017, 11:40 PM
Toby Warford
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit up Facebook. Finding parts isn't hard for these trucks. Finding someone to take them is. I've scrapped two almost perfect bumpers because I couldn't even give them away. They're plentiful in junkyards, ones bound to have one good enough. Might have to drive a little bit though. But if we're you, I'd just buy a Westin diamond plate step bumper. And fwiw, one of the bumpers I had at one point was literally brand new. It was old stock from a closed out trucks parts store. It wasn't Mopar labeled on the step pads, but everything else was 100% identical. Instead of a ram head, it had a capital R in a circle. Sold it for $150.

If you're not concerned about matching the gen of your truck, a second gen (97-04) bolts right on as well. Which means you can get a hitch off an 87-04 as well as the bumper.

Where are you located?

Old 07-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Cash68
Professional

Originally Posted by RalphP
New? First, you locate The Doctor, or build a Time Machine.

Just kidding; try shermanparts.com for first shots.

Serviceable used? Well, car-part.com is one place.
I'll check out that first place, thanks!

I checked car-part.com but every single one has rust right near the tow hitch/center step. Looking for a clean one.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:47 PM
Cash68
Professional

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
Hit up Facebook. Finding parts isn't hard for these trucks. Finding someone to take them is. I've scrapped two almost perfect bumpers because I couldn't even give them away. They're plentiful in junkyards, ones bound to have one good enough.

Where are you located?
No dice, so far. Milwaukee, ish.

All seem to be rotten. :\

Old 07-16-2017, 11:49 PM
Toby Warford
Banned

No dice, so far. Milwaukee, ish.

All seem to be rotten. :\
How far from Appleton? I know a hook up there. Great guy. You have Facebook right? Or someone who does?

Old 07-17-2017, 12:25 AM
Cash68
Professional

Originally Posted by Toby Warford
How far from Appleton? I know a hook up there. Great guy. You have Facebook right? Or someone who does?
Not too far away. Yeah, have FB.

Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 AM
Toby Warford
Banned

Not too far away. Yeah, have FB.
Send me a message on Facebook. My name is my user name here. I got you on this. Great guy, hoards parts, and know where everything about these trucks are, and has things you can't find anymore. Little pricey, but we'll worth for the quality and rareity of what he has. His Dakota is to die for. All done by him, award winning just about everywhere he takes it.